ad: elecraft

Ideas for a laptop for digital mode

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6BBC, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. N1DQQ

N1DQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with that particular model number but the ThinkPad series are the rugged professional laptops. I recently went for my third laptop and bought a brand new ThinkPad T470s. I won't say what I paid for the custom package, but you can look it up for comparison. I also have a T30, and a T60, both with XP. If there was an upgrade path to Windows 10, I wouldn't have needed to get the new one. All of them are still in use for dedicated functions. Consider what $130 will buy at a computer store. This is for a complete computer, with Windows 10. Look at it this way; Buy Windows 10 and get a free computer. Google it and google it some more. Only you will know if it's right.

Lenovo.com has manuals and specs.
    Good luck.
    73, Dennis

I just noticed that this model has a very small display. You might want a 14 inch or larger.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. K2WH

K2WH I'm Up, I'm Awake What more do you want ? Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Tony, I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop and its work great on everything.

Ebay and other sites have them pretty cheap.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I went to Hawaii with a tablet. it was a miserable experience. So then I bought a WIN 10 11inch laptop which did the trick much better! It was the same size, but with a SIGNALINK can do all the digital modes great! (and copy CW with FLDIGI!)
    The mini laptops are cheap, have full sized click style keyboard (I use a wireless mouse).

SO that is what I reccommend, getting a mini laptop and a Signalink!

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

tablets are fine for Android aps, and that is about it

5. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinkpad or bust for sure. They are just so dang rugged!

6. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

+1 for the Lenovo ThinkPad. I have 4 at work that are used for automotive diagnostics and they truly take a beating and keep working. All of them have SSD hard drives too, that has to help.

7. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the one I got.... https://amzn.to/2pcfzI5
    I keep in my "go kit".

Cheap, fast, some mil-spec qualities (dust, liquid, etc.) and a solid-state drive.
    Handles everything I've thrown at it.

adsbbatteryk2ncc001.jpg

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Before you commit to anything, check out this month's QST. There is a brief article about a 'Digital Appliance' for the popular digi modes. The author built his for about $400, but it could be done for less. You might not need some of his features.

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get QST, but I can tell you that you can build a RasPi 3-based digimode computer with a touchscreen and stand for about $150. It will run fldigi, wsjt-x, etc., with the waterfalls and everything.

I used one for Field Day for the last couple of years.

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whatever you get, make sure it has adequate (several hours) battery power. Laptop and tablet power supplies can be notoriously noisy band-killers.

Good Luck!

KK5JY likes this.