Ideal 'Imperial VIII' multi-band receiver

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD2NOM, Apr 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good afternoon all,

Another trip to the swap-meet and another orphaned radio has been brought home. This time I found and Ideal Imperial VIII (Code No. 96438) sitting out in the cold being ignored.

$10 and I am the proud owner. She needs some TLC - the aerials are loose at the base, one is bent a tad, the tuning knob is missing it's decorative insert, the chrome all needs a good polish and the glass needs to be cleaned, the push buttons need some attention and the sliders for volume and tone need some cleaning to 'de-crackle-ify them).

I'm now looking for an owners manual, shop manual and / or schematic online and coming up empty. Do any of you happen to have a copy you can PDF to me? This is all I have been able to find so far:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/unknown_id_ideal_imperial_viii.html

Best regards,

Mark

imperial_VIII.jpg

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a bit of resemblance to a Lloyd's model I once had. 10 pushbuttons in a row, controls in the same location although Lloyd's didn't use slider pots.
    Can't recall the model number but its not an uncommon radio from the mid-late 60s. Starts with a 9 IIRC.

lloyds.jpg

3. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

These old Japanese multiband portables from the 60s are starting to pop up a lot in my AO as well. Just today a local thrift store had a 60s multibander labeled "Wards Airline". It had AM, FM, marine, aero, and police bands, labeled in cycles instead of khz (without CD marks), placing it between 1964 and 1968. There were several stickers on it that looked like it had once been owned by a tweenage girl. Opened up the battery compartment and it was full of rot. Strangely, the batteries were official military issue, the old Eveready cells with an olive green skin and official military labeling. I decided that it wasn't worth the $10 they wanted due to the battery rot. When I was walking out I noticed that a woman had it in her cart. I hope she enjoys scrubbing out all that gunk. :eek::eek: If these old 60s radios are your thing, you probably can pick them up at estate sales as well as sales held by elderly people downsizing to an assisted living home. Just make sure to check the battery compartment before buying-you don't want to have to do a major scrub/sanding job.

4. KJ6ZOL

Bill, it seems to me that by 1970 or so that the idea of a "brand name stable" was coming into being, where the factory had its own name and then rented a more American sounding name(s) to put on the front of the radios. Up until the 60s the factory that made the rigs was named the same as the label name, except for department store radios like Sears and Wards. When the Japanese started entering the American electronics market at the end of the 50s, teenagers who wanted a transistor radio would get a gruff lecture from their fathers about Pearl Harbor et al if the radio had a Japanese sounding brand name. Back then war vets absolutely REFUSED to have any "Jap crap" in their homes, befuddling their kids, who had no memory of the war. Out of necessity the factories had to put American names on their rigs. That eventually led to a situation where there was the same radio marketed under a bunch of different labels. Lloyds and Longines are two names that seem to pop up in NorCal a lot.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out the Noblex Siete Mares (7 Seas) manufactured in Argentina for their domestic market. Their equivalent to a Zenith TO. The same radio was sold as "Ross" in the US :) The Japanese firm who we know as Ross helped set up that operation in Argentina.
    Spica also manufactured in Argentina with the same models offered in our market.
    Later Hallicrafters consumer radios were manufactured in Japan by a contracted outfit in those days.
    Lots of examples...in the cases of LU-land they were workarounds to import tariffs and a concerted effort by the government at the time to foment the local industry.
    Yeah, most of the Japanese consumer models in the US market back then had cheesy English-sounding names like Windsor or International or Star-lite. Heck...what about "Kenwood" to this day!
    anyway, point being is that I'd bet that Ideal Imperial is very closely related to that Lloyd's offering.

6. KJ6ZOL

In the 60s Argentina had quite a bit of local industry. Sadly, like in the US, they have zilch now. Look up Fernando Aguirre, an Argentine blogger who fled to Spain. His blogs tell how LU fell down the Clockwork Orange rabbit hole and how the only way anybody gets money is to steal from each other. Buenos Aires has a nice downtown that's ringed by endless slums. That's what happens when a nation deindustrializes-if there's no manufacturing, there's no economy.
    Anyway, the main reason that the name Kenwood was not used in Europe is because there was an already existing company called Kenwood, they were based in the UK and made small kitchen appliances. The company used the name "Trio-Kenwood" as an official name in the US and some other areas.
    As for Hallicrafters, IIRC the actual company shut down in the early 60s and the name was sold. The later "Hallicrafters" stuff from Japan had no connection to the original company.

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure looks clean.
    I used to have a fair collection of Transoceanics....most of which I gave away to new techs who had never tuned a shortwave radio before. I hope they're still in good hands.