Idea: Software-to-Software Interface

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KA2IRQ, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So, just a thought in today's modern world of software...

Any software that uses the ADIF format to import/export data should be able to interface directly to other software.

In other words, I should be able to run my logging program, click a button to launch, from within that logging program, WSJT-X to run FT8... when FT8 makes a complete QSO, instead of creating its own log file, it should just dump the logging info back into my logging program. If the logging program also has rig control going on, it should know to disable that interface to allow WSJT-X to handle that function.

As it stands now, I have to shut down my logging program (which also has a rig interface), fire up FT8, log contacts, then shut down FT8 (WSJT-X), go find the log file it created, edit that file or copy/paste the new contacts, and import that into the logging program when I fire it back up. No huge problem, it just seems that with all this computer horsepower, it should be more seamless.

Any thoughts from the programmer guru's out there?

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

What software are you using to log? I use DXLab, and the JT-Alert program (https://hamapps.com/) does exactly what your asking for - logs FT8 contacts directly into my logging program as I make contacts. No messing around importing/exporting.

3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Step-by-step instructions for configuring DXLab, WSJT-X, and JS-Alert to interoperate are here.

For the record, FLDigi, MixW, MMTTY, MMVARI, and MultiPSK can all log QSOs to DXLab in real time without performing the export/import dance. These capabilities have been available for more than a decade.

4. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD has an open port for an API to do the same.

5. KA2IRQ

Amateur Contact Log

6. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JT-Alert can log QSOs directly to ACLog. See https://hamapps.com/

7. KA2IRQ

Awesome! Thank you... I will check that out!