ad: M2Ant-1

"ID Verified" troubles

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by W7UUU, May 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yessir! I totally agree!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would guess that it goes in your QRZ cookie jar.

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, It's a neat idea,
    BUT
    Do I really want to admit to being me??!!
    #
    #
    V

4. KA9JLM

Dave,

I think you are over thinking this. You should redo from start.

Near as I can tell, QRZ sends you a pin number, Then you use that for verification.

Good Luck.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    ND6M likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I use multiple computers.

I VERIFIED on ONE computer yesterday,........................... every other computer I later used on QRZ reflects the VERIFIED status.

N0TZU likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, that's good to know. Based on the mechanics of loading the cert onto a computer, it appeared that it might be related to the specfic computer...

Which brings up the next question - if this isn't a browser based, client - server cert that's being leveraged, then why the need to load it on your client machine? Why not upload it to QRZ? I guess I don't understand why it's as complicated a process as it is - and it doesn't work for some of us.

Not complaining, just curious. And if what you say is true, then someone who hacks your account will also show up as "Verified". I guess it's still better than showing up "Vilified". :D

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Just read that Verified requires that two factor authentication be enabled, which addresses this issue mostly, or as good as realistically can be done.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Only if the hacker also managed to successfully perform the two factor authentication, I believe, assuming he is using an unknown (to QRZ) computer. If he has remote control of a known machine, then yes.

On edit - looks like we posted at the same time!

It looks like Verified just makes sure that the person originally registering is who she says she is. Afterwards, the two factor is what keeps that identity secure. Perhaps there is some long time out that requires the Verified process again, for example if you didn't log in to QRZ for six months from any machine.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    KV6O likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're confusing "two step verification" with the newly implemented "ID Verified" process. The two step is where you get the pin number. That works great and I have it enabled. It's something of a nuisance but I appreciate the added level of security.

What I'm talking here about is this new "ID Verified" thing where you use your ARRL LoTW TQSL Certificate to create an ID Certificate that needs to be saved into the "Certificate Stores" on the computer. You probably know all about the "Certificate Stores". There are quite a few of them, and the new "ID Verified" process allows you to browse the entire list. By default, it says it will simply "use wizard to locate proper folder".... which fails every time.

The process is supposed to automatically create and save the ID Certificate created from the TQSL certificate into the correct "Certificate Stores" folder that the "ID Verified" app running in the browser has been told to go look for it. However, at least in my case, the process is saving the ID Verified certificate into the incorrect folder and the browser cannot find it so the process halts.

I have tried seven or eight times and get the same result.

So since no one from QRZ Database Management seems interested in offering up suggestions, I guess the next step would be to try to manually locate all those many "Certificate Stores" folders (they are hidden from browsing view) and copy the ID Verified certificate into every single one... that might work.

Of course, not sure I really care all that much... other than I do sell stuff here from time to time, and it would be an asset to be "ID Verified" for that purpose.

Just odd that no one from QRZ has offered up any suggestions on what I should try - since it's their system and they just created it.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. KA9JLM

OK. Yes I am confused. I do not see you as verified here on QRZ.

Sorry. I am lost now. Why would QRZ help you to get verified by ARRL ?

Good Luck.