ID this Tower

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K0UO, Jul 31, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Can anyone ID this tower type / manufacturer??

10 foot sections
    19 1/2 in face
    Climbing runs on one side, spaced at approximately 20 in, the 2 other sides have diagonals bracing, all 3/4in hollow but thick maybe 12 to 16 ga
    Every 3 or 4 sections 1 1/2 in straps or guys supports
    1 1/2in tube legs/ 12 to 14 gauge
    3 bolt per leg sleeve connection
    The tower has been painted in the past but has good Galvanized coating inside and out, so must be hot dipped

Who has an answer?
    20200731_161826.jpg 20200731_160103.jpg

2. K0UO

3. 4E9VVN

4E9VVN Ham Member QRZ Page

this is triangular one with good foundation and good grounding and old one good luck...

K0UO likes this.
  4. K0UO

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking that the tower may have been made locally in your part of the country. It's unusual that a couple of folks have not jumped on here by now to id it. The bolted cross members make it a little different.

K9XR and K0UO like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen towers like that used as AM broadcast transmitter towers, where the tower is the antenna.

Many commercial tower outfits (not "ham radio" tower companies) make stuff like that. Most of the "similar" looking ones I've seen are base insulated and the tower is fed at the bottom with a big matching network in a blockhouse, and they're usually >200' tall.

7. K0UO

I have three hundred foot of this Tower

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not surprised!

But the photos you posted show coax hanging around, so I assume that particular tower had antennas "at the top" and it wasn't an AM-BC tower.

Most of the ones I've seen like that were actually AM-BC towers; no coax, the tower is the antenna.

I had the unfortunate job of servicing some of those, because they do require maintenance to keep all the joints very conductive, often using brass or copper straps around all the couplings where the leg sections meet. Some of those also have "FM-BC" antennas at the top, so they served dual purposes, but the FM-BC antennas were fed with very thick hardline and not flexible coax.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

With the base designed to sit on an insulator it certainly appears to have been built for AM BCB several decades ago.
    What it has been used for since is a WAG.