ad: ProAudio-1

ID-5100A In Vehicle

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K8KPO, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K8KPO

K8KPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an ID-5100A at home that I am very fond of, and I'd like to put one in the truck. The only thing holding me back is that I've found a couple people who had issues with heat killing the screen. I'm wondering, as they didn't specify, if this is people who left the head unit in direct sunlight and that's what killed it, or if this display is delicate enough that it has a good chance of dying even if protected from sun.

Does anyone here have an ID-5100A mounted in a vehicle that has been in hot/cold weather? Has anyone had the LCD crack in the winter due to freezing temperatures? Do you remove the control head when getting out if it's very hot or very cold? Do you cover it to keep the sun off?

I'd appreciate any experiences shared before I plunk down another $400 for a radio and end up killing it.

Thanks.

2. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not had a problem with mine here in the northwest. If there were alot of radios with bad control heads you would think they would be showing up on eBay or here in the for sale section. I have looked as I currently have a extra control head. a new control head is $300.00 from ICOM.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have had mine for four years; no problems. There have been no complaints here on The Zed. Just do it.

4. K8KPO

K8KPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you guys covering the control heads during temperature extremes or just leaving them exposed wherever they are mounted?

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't pay any attention to the weather. Depending on security concerns I either leave the control head in place or stow it away out of sight.

K8KPO likes this.
  6. W5EKG

W5EKG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve had a 5100 in my vehicle for a couple years without any issues. I don’t have it in direct sunlight though.