ad: k1jek

ICQPodcast Episode 239 - Yaesu FT-450D Review Released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9CHM

W9CHM Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have recently purchased this radio and enjoy the review as well.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have a 450D. Its one of my 'go box' radios. Again, no bashing: the fact is there is a FATAL FLAW on the 450D for outside operation--you simply CANNOT read the display in indirect OR direct sunlight.

3. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was surprised by how big the ft-450 is when i saw it at hro , it looks like a tiny mobile radio in the printed adds.

4. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eham reviews are also not really reliable because they are written by users and therefore vary widely depending upon that person's experience with that product. So most of them are really just user opinions rather than actual reviews.

eHam can be a good tool for quick research in the initial buying decision.....

5. K1HMS

K1HMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W1YW,
    Calling a flaw a flaw isn't bashing. The screen can be impossible to see in sun light, even in the shade of a tent. For a portable size radio this seems like a dumb design choice.
    K1HMS

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

And likely the laptop you are using has the same flaw, as it is intended for indoor use as well. Save a cardboard box, cut it to fit over the radio, and paint the inside black. Wipe hands on pants.

My 450D has been all over for just about every outdoor event we do, and I don't recall not being able to read the display -- I might strain a bit, but I can still see it.