ICQPodcast Episode 239 - Yaesu FT-450D Review Released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

So much hate for a great podcast. Been a long-time listener, and I usually get more from their content than many of the U.S. podcasts.

2. YO7JBB

YO7JBB Ham Member QRZ Page

With an external ATU (I use LDG Z11 Pro II) is a very good radio. Now I'm using a Hy End Fed antenna with very good results.

3. W6WUH

W6WUH Ham Member QRZ Page

More Snark per square inch here on qrz, than Jack London managed in a whole book.
    What I love is that the D model is the old model with different knobs..
    somebody ought to be able to talk about that for another half hour. I am not wading through this thing..
    I just hope somebody mentioned how difficult it is to actually use the many useless features of the DSP.. while actuall operating.

4. AI6RX

AI6RX Ham Member QRZ Page

How come you can't change the display colors on the 450D? I read about the 450 and one can change display colors.

5. K1HMS

K1HMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 450D was my first rig, I still have it for portable ops. I've moved on to a TS-590SG and a IC-7300.

For the $500 I paid for the 450 used it is still a lot of fun. I put 30 countries and 36 states in the log in my first few months. The CAT interface is supported by all of the major logging programs. The DSP functions are easy to change with one button and the knob right next to it. Over time and with practice you can reduce the noise and reject adjacent signals to work weak signals. It is small, and rugged. On transmit it is 100w the same as the rest of them, I always received good signal reports. It can hear about everything the 590 or 7300 can as most of the time you are signal to noise limited by your antenna, not the radio. Under some conditions the 450 is a bit of a "mumble box" due to the up-convering architecture, and the wide 10kHz roofing filter which lets strong adjacent signals in causing distortion due to intermods and a reduction in sensistivity.

I don't get the bashing, it is what it is. It's a well made low end entry level "rice box" with most of the features available today like noise reduction, IF shift, VFO A and B, ability to work split, keyer, ant tuner etc. At a half to a third of the price of other radios you can get on the air 160m - 6m. No, you don't get a color touch screen panadapter, or selectable roofing filters because you didn't pay for them.

Comparing a Ford Focus' short comings to a S-600 Mercedes is the sport of 14 year olds that don't drive.

The videos are always postive raving about all the features and how great they are. If you want a loaner IC-7851 or FTDX-9000 to review once in a while you can't bash the brand.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    KC9NRA and G1YRV like this.
  6. KC9NRA

KC9NRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have recently purchased this radio and enjoy the review as well.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have a 450D. Its one of my 'go box' radios. Again, no bashing: the fact is there is a FATAL FLAW on the 450D for outside operation--you simply CANNOT read the display in indirect OR direct sunlight.

8. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was surprised by how big the ft-450 is when i saw it at hro , it looks like a tiny mobile radio in the printed adds.

9. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Eham reviews are also not really reliable because they are written by users and therefore vary widely depending upon that person's experience with that product. So most of them are really just user opinions rather than actual reviews.

eHam can be a good tool for quick research in the initial buying decision.....

10. K1HMS

K1HMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W1YW,
    Calling a flaw a flaw isn't bashing. The screen can be impossible to see in sun light, even in the shade of a tent. For a portable size radio this seems like a dumb design choice.
    K1HMS