ICQ Podcast Episode 262 - Upgrading To Your Next Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Mar 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode, Martin is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Dan Romanchik KB6NU, and Ed Durrant DD5LP to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief, and this episode’s feature is - Upgrading to your next radio by Chris Howard M0TCH

ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast Donors

We would like to thank our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

PR Mention

Bill Barnes N3JIX sponsored a Pennsylvania QSO Award in the name of ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast - http://www.nittany-arc.net/paqsosponsor.html

News stories include:-
    • Nigeria Next to Get 60GHz
    • 2018 State of Ham Radio Survey
    • 2m Radio Support for Long Distance Walker
    • Irish Ham Radio Examination Report
    • Trevor Baylis, Wind-up Radio Inventor Passes
    • Reduced Power for Swedish Amateur Radio Operators
    • Radio Drone Makes KH6JF/MM Accessible Using FT8
    • Auction of Former Amateur Radio Spectrum
    • First Tunisian Individual Ham Radio Licenses Issued
    • D-STAR Repeater GB7IC Nears 2000 Registrations
    The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2018-3-18_19-33-4.png

KK6JKC likes this.
  2. AA5AZ

AA5AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm choosing not to make any large purchases (>$2,000) until the solar cycle is well on the way back up. Hopefully, by then the technologies available will be better. I'm an avid user of the TS-590 and I'm looking forward to the changes Kenwood will make in the next few years. I want to buy another used 590SG to pair with my 590S in the meantime.

NA4RA, W2RMT, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  3. KF5GTX

KF5GTX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also choosing not to make any radio purchases until Yaesu comes out with a radio that does everything my FT-847 does (VHF/UHF/6m/HF/satellites/full duplex for sats, etc.). Until then, there is no reason for me to upgrade. My 847 works very well, despite its age. My elmer replaced all of the diodes and added the G4HUP IF Tap Kit to give me HDSDR capability and it works VERY well. Nice low noise floor too!

PY3ND, WD0FIA and K9PLG like this.
  4. KE8G

KE8G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am going to be making a few purchases this year, but not a new rig. Right now I run a couple of Elecraft K3 radios... I am waiting for the next evolution of their product, the mystical K4!

K7RHT and WM6P like this.
  5. KC2ZRT

KC2ZRT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll most likely be looking to buy a lightly used or new TS590SG to replace my aging TS440S.

6. W2STF

W2STF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W2STF. I am presently using a OMNI VII. Excellent radio. I have worked 230 countries with it. I am 74 years young and will mostly likely purchase a ICOM 7610. I want to try some technology.

KC2ZRT and WT4BT like this.
  7. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Meh...spend your money on more antennas.

KB0FKT, PY3ND, KE0EYJ and 8 others like this.
  8. YO3AOE

YO3AOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sensibilitatea receptoarelor statiilor s-a apropiat de limita maxima de 0,1uV,si oricum este limitata de zgomotul inerent al eterului si al antenei folosite.Selectivitatea este in prezent obtinuta prin filtre discrete distincte sau-si mai bine!-continuu reglabila intre zero Hz si o limita dorita la alegere. D.S.P.-uri-le audio permit aproape orice "jonglerii" in spectrul sonor,dupa dorinta si/sau necesitati. De asemenea,la emitatoarele statiilor se poate alege si regla atit modul de lucru,cit respectiv si puterea de iesire de r.f..Ce ne-a mai ramas?,doar sa asteptam si sa speram o propagare cit mai buna si sa experimentam diverse tipuri de antene,dar si asta este inca foarte mult!.73! de la Nelu-YO3AOE

VA7LDT and K7RHT like this.
  9. WM6P

WM6P Ham Member QRZ Page

Having just upgraded from an Elecraft K3 to a K3s, I am all set. Don't wait for the next cycle, enjoy some great hamming right now.
    WM6P

W5PFG, K7YB, KD2GHL and 3 others like this.
  10. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I hear you. I find the challenges that sporadically optimal propagation presents makes you a better operator, a better student of monitoring propagation (empirical and theoretical) to take advantage of those moments of good propagation, and a better student of antenna design. It makes capturing DX all the more rewarding, and motivates you to improve your antenna systems. I'm making plenty of contacts, including using ground wave to keep in touch with local hams on HF.

RE current receivers being at or near the cosmic noise floor, I agree. Many near the top of Rob Sherwood's receiver test database are as good as a receiver can get for sensitivity.

Good thing Google translates Romanian :) 73-Hugh-WA2LXB

KK6JKC and K7RHT like this.