ad: Alphaant-1

ICQ Podcast Episode 260 - Xiegu X108G Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Feb 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a lot of problems that needed software update hence the use of the USB connector, I can't remember them all because I have forgotten about that nightmare but one of them was the keyer putting out extra dots (I think) there was many others, all documented on the Yahoo group but that might be extinct now have not checked. I did like the radio and the power out was a bonus but to me it was just not ready for prime time, as I said I had 2 of them and they both went back to China about 3 times, saying that Stephen at Xiegu was really helpful.. Maybe the newer ones are better Connect systems had them for a while with updated software but I believe they got out of the game because of support issues, I see MFJ has thrown their hat in the bag with the new QRP rig we will see how that goes! I disaster in the making I think. I was told the chips were from prolific might be wrong but they are definitely not the much preferred FTDI chipset

KK5R likes this.
  2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Talking about alternative rigs, there is one that has caught my eye but it's a 40M only rig running about 10W and seems to be a good rig for mobile, etc. It's being offered by Vibroplex and has an optional internal battery for those who want to set up portable on a picnic table in some park with a simple mobile 'stick dipole antenna so the park people won't gasp and moan that your wire antenna is going to burn down some tree full us squirrels. The price seems right for a radio that has digital readout. Most at this price ($189) are only for CW but this one also has SSB.

Check it out here:

http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/d84.html

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  3. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  4. W7PLC

W7PLC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had one, used it quite often and was happy with performance. Sold it to another ham who intends to be motorcycle mobile with it, hope he has fun with it like I did.

KK5R likes this.
  5. KO4XL

KO4XL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t get it, why would anyone spend $600 on a No name Chinese made transceiver when for a few dollars more you could have something like a Yaesu FT-891 (for $629)??

WB8NUT likes this.
  7. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

My X108G cost me 220 Euros, new (auction on eBay). Normal price over here in Europe is around 350-400 Euros if you shop around. Unless the US dollar has taken a dive, that's no where near $600. Your point on the FT-891 is well made however for that price it's a very good rig, somewhat heavier than the Xiegu however, so not quite as trail friendly.
    It's nice to have a choice!

Ed DD5LP / VK2JI.

KK5R likes this.
  8. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, €400 is almost $500, for $150 more ..........

9. K3HVG

K3HVG Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got mine from Radioddity for $360. Not too bad. Now, to see if I like the rig. I'm not a QRP person, per se, but looks like a neat radio for portable use. Now I just need to find a good reason to use it???
    K3HVG