ad: M2Ant-1

Icon IC7300 vs Yaesu FTDX3000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG6UEF, Mar 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm 3/4 of a year late to the party, but my $0.02 worth is to keep the FT950. I have an FT 950 and it is more/better trnsceiver than either of the two you are considering. The IC 7300 is an entry-level transceiver. The FT 3000 is a great radio but much less of a radio than the FT950. If you MUST leave the FT 950 behind go with the FTDX101D. That is an upgrade you will be happy with. The only downside I can see with keeping the FT 950 is that it may be nearing obsolescence as far as factory (Yaesu) repair is concerned. But, that is all the more reason to drive the wheels off it and then purchase the FTDX 101D. Of course, you may be considering selling the FT 950. They bring in the neighborhood of $600.00 on eBay and that might help defray the cost of the FTDX 101d, Ft 3000 or IC 7300 you decide to buy.

I don't own an FTDX101D but I have used one and believe me, "state of the art" is very much an understatement. It is an incredible transceiver. You can get the FTDX 101MP which is a 200 watt version of the FTDX 101D; but, no one receiving your signal will be able to tell the difference in 100 watts or 200 watts. I wouldn't pay the difference in price for 100 watts additional. Anyone who even says they can hear the difference is delusional unless of course, they are 1/2 mile away from you.

As I said, I am super late to the party. You have probably made up your mind and already purchased a transceiver. I hope you made a wise purchase and are very happy with what you bought. If you have already purchased a transceiver, please just ignore this response. I'm looking at old posts out of COVID 19 and post-election boredom Thank God the election is over and please God, give us a vaccine for coronavirus.

2. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

The last few years I have been using an old Icom 751. It has gotten me on the air and coupled with the DX Commander Multiband Vertical it works. I have been saving pennies and hope to get the DX3000 before Yaesu pulls the plug on it. Based upon everything I have read, it looks like a radio I could enjoy for the years to come.

Frankly, the 7300 never really entered into the picture for me. If I wanted to know where the signals were, I either turned the dial or looked at the websdr out of Utah. That practice has served me well.

Not being a rich man the DX 3000 looks to have everything I want in a radio to be able to grow with in the hobby.

PU2OZT and KC9LOO like this.
  3. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have the price of the 7300, it would probably trounce anything in the same new price range. If you have alot more money, presumably you can buy more radio. You get alot with the 7300 but don't expect that you will get alot for nothing, and have a 1000 dollar radio that can beat a 5000 dollar radio in performance or features. And not judge it overnight, even though the factory settings are good. I am still finding ways to adjust stuff that I did not know about or never tried before. (Or had a need to) But for SSB ragchew or nets I don't need to be manipulating alot of stuff. Stick to mid selectivity. If some dolt throws a carrier, poke the auto-notch button and boom. As for "overload" I do not have kilowatt hams in my immediate vicinity. The only time I have seen the overload indicator come on was on one or two occasions on 40M with a full sized resonant antenna, and a ton of Chinese loud broadcasters came in with the hams one evening. I turned the RF gain back just a little bit till the indication went away and had no impact on ham signals. And it has not even occurred for me in several years. Maybe it would happen at field day or something like that. Would be nice to have two antenna jacks but I got a switch on the table for four antennas. I use an external comms speaker and I cannot fault the audio on receive at all. OH yea, plus I like the fact that all the filter settings have a wide range of adjustments and work well. No spending 150$ for additional filters or hunting down filters for older radios.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    WD4ELG, K0UO and PU2OZT like this.
  4. N6TDG

I ended up purchasing the Yaesu DX 3000 and man o man, what a radio. Sleek, black, and a blast to play with.

I am sure the 7300 is a nice radio and I hope folks enjoy their purchase. These days I figure most radios are going to be a bit more sensitive than that old Icom 751 War-horse that served me well to this point.

1 person likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would not consider a comparison between the 7300 and the 3000 myself. 7300 strikes me as entry level while the 3000 is more advanced. Both fill their niche well but comparing them?

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. N6TDG

I would tend to agree based upon price and size and weight alone. I have seen the 7300 described as souless. That does incapsulate my feelings about the 7300. It works well, it looks nice, it has pretty waterfalls, but....

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since my comment here praising the 3000, I sold it and now own another IC7300.

The 3000 is a nice rig but, FOR ME, a PITA to go from A to B.

I find touching the screen and a Multi switch to be easier faster and just simple. Like my cell phone.

And IMO performance in receive is on par with the 3000, and in fact check out the Sherwood charts on that.

Changing the screens on the 3000 I found to be just a pain always had to be in the right mode. Plus I just hated where they put the mode button, always bumping other knobs when I touched it!

The 7300 blows away the 3000 with it’s scope clarity, it just does.

The 3000 hears VERY well for logging beacons below 500Khz but so does my TS590SG which is way easier to operate than any Yaesu made.

I tried liking the 3000, just wasn't me, now N5KAT owns it. We all have our likes and dislikes and several manufactures to see what fits us.

AG5DB likes this.
  8. N6TDG

Thankfully we have choice. I think for the most part these level of radios are within whiskers of each other technically, (notwithstanding the pretty lights)--that being said, all else is subjective.

K3EY likes this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty lights: love the Yaesu blinking light zero beat, but have worked CW so long my ears are just as accurate. Just thought that touch was impressive, as is the contour function.