Icon IC7300 vs Yaesu FTDX3000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG6UEF, Mar 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4HRL

W4HRL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having read some good things about it, I actually purchased one a few months ago. Then I ran into a Windows 10 driver problem. Win 10 needed a "signed" driver which I could not find at the time. Shelved the project after a couple weeks. Sounds like it is time to see if "signed" drivers are available for SDRplay's these days.

Lou, thanks for reminding me I needed to check for drivers again.

2. N1LOU

N1LOU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-7300 has adequate receive ability on SSB, and VERY good transmit audio quality with stock mic. That said, the Icom 7300 is an excercise in continual frustration for casual operating. Lacking a MODE button, one must use multiple presses on a non tactile "Grope Screen" in TWO LOCATIONS ON said 'screen' just in order to change from CW to upper to lower sideband. Worse, if you wish to adjust the carrier power, you must first: Push the multifunction knob,
    second: use the non tactile grope screen to enable "Carrier Power" functonality, ,
    Thirdly: adjust carrier power to desired setting
    fourth: change MODE to rtty by MULTIPLE TOUCHES of the grope screen ( touches in TWO places )
    oops, you have now disabled the carrier power icon, because MODE changes remove the carrier and mic gain function- until re-engaged by PRESSING the "multifunction knob", and then groping the touch screen in the correct successive locations to enable CARRIER power adjustment., then, REPEAT the MODE change to the correct SSB setting to go about you mic gain adjustment.... But wait, now you cant adjust your compression level, because you touched the MODE change , which disabled your MIC gain knob.
    Repeat a similar series of multiple steps to sequentially tune up your linear amplifier.....
    Compare the FTDX 3000, which has a dedicated MODE toggle, which functions at all times, anytime you wish to CHANGE MODES.
    AND: The FTDX3000 includes a dedicated CARRIER power knob, functional at all times, any time you wish to " Dial down" the power, turn the knob... ANY TIME you want to turn the carrier power back up: Turn the Knob: Easy.
    As for audio quality: the transmit audio quality of the yaesu is "okay to pretty good" with the stock hand mic. MD100 desk mic bumps you into the " DARN GOOD SOUNDING RIG THERE, WHatcha using ? " territory.
    as for receive: The Yaesu will COPY signals the Icom doesn't know are there.
    The FTDX 300 audio is clear, clean, easy to listen to for hours on end, and is so quiet you can comfortably listen to 75 meters without the DNR most times.
    The ICOM by comparison is tedious to listen at length, and has very marginal signal conditioning abilities. You'll put up with a lot more audible noise, and nothing the IC7300 can do about it.
    In summary for doing RADIO things, ie Talking on the Radio, sending CW, and Listening to the Radio: The FTDX is far better equipment, easier to use, easier to listen to, and easier to operate.
    The ICOM 7300 is for sale.
    The FTDX 3000 is staying in my shack.

4. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did exactly that after reading this, then I sold the SDRplay, unimpressed. I like to 3000 as is.

KC9LOO likes this.
  5. BG4NMT

BG4NMT Ham Member QRZ Page

ssb 7300, cw ts590sg

K3EY likes this.
  6. KC9QBY

KC9QBY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Late to discussion here, but as others have mentioned, panadapter RSPdx, more ports on back of 3000, mode switch, direct computer to 3000 connection for digital modes. Definitely 3000, happy with mine.

Chuck. KC9QBY

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI QRZ FRIENDS,

IF YOU ARE A CW OPERATOR WHO LIKES TO DO QRQ WITH QSK THE
    IC-7300 IS NOT THE RIG FOR YOU.

THE ARRL HAS DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB ON THE PRODUCT REVIEWS
    ON BOTH OF THE PIECES OF EQUIPMENT MENTIONED IN THE TITLE.

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ICOM HAS RESOLVED THIS SHORTCOMING
    IN THEIR QSK OPERATION SINCE THE PRODUCT REVIEW WAS
    PERFORMED.

73 - K1LKP

likes with red SMALL.jpg

8. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom uses the RD70HVF for finals int the '7300, good thing they go cheap by the pair...
    Sold my IC7300 with fresh finals installed.

Yaesu FTDX3000 uses RD100HHF, a much more durable device.
    Still running Original Equipment finals in two FTdx3000s and an FT891, no problems.

9. KC9LOO

KC9LOO Ham Member QRZ Page

As the proud owner of an FTDX 3000, I probably am a little biased in this. I researched both the 7300 and 3000 considerably before I could make up my mind in a purchase.
    I read everything and every review I could find, but could not A-B the two side by side due to the WuHanfludemic going on. I still sat on the fence for over a month before I decided
    to jump ship and try a new brand. This is my first Yaesu radio, I have always been an Icom person, but if I ever want another radio, it will be a Yaesu.
    It was the fact that I did not want a touch screen radio that led me to purchase the 3000, plus some differences in the finals and the physical size, all the knobs and the reputation of the Yaesu. It has been a trouble free experience coming from all previous older Icom radios that were without menus and all the options to tailor the radio to the operator. I did read the manual 3 times before I even powered it up, but still I find myself referring back to it every few days.
    I have not tried any digital with this yet, I am not familiar with digital and not convinced it is for me. I am still trying to convince myself to do it though and I might someday.
    This is my personal opinion, from only 5 months of use, the FTDX 3000 is the best bang for your buck, period. I guess I am now a "YAESU FAN BOY" and don't see myself ever changing
    again.

K3EY likes this.
  10. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I owned several IC7300's but just couldn't warm up to them and now own the FTdx3000 and very happy!