ad: ProAudio-1

Icon IC7300 vs Yaesu FTDX3000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG6UEF, Mar 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KG6UEF

KG6UEF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am currently using a Yaesu FT-950 with the Elecraft KPA500 amp. Looking at options to upgrade the FT-950 and have landed up on 2 choices. Either the Icom IC7300 or the Yaesu FTDX3000.

What are the pros/cons of each? Having heard both radios side-by-side for a short while, I felt that the FTDX3000 had better noise reduction compared to the 7300. Also, the 300 has much better audio/speakers then the 7300

The 7300 has the advantages in terms of the lower price, SDR and the scope. However, Ihave heard about the frontend overload problems in the presence of a strong signal. Will RF noise trigger an overload? What options are available to manage the overload issue?

The 3000 is similar in layout to the FT-950. It is priced much higher than the 7300. Does that higher amount translate in to better features/performance?

Is it even worthwhile to upgrade from the FT-950 to either of these options? Currently not looking for any other rigs, just the 7300 and the 3000.

Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

2. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would keep the 950

KG7QJB likes this.
  3. KG6UEF

KG6UEF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would you mind elaborating the reasons?

4. W7CSA

W7CSA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I picked the 300 over the 7300 for the some of the same reason that you enumerated, but I also picked it for these reasons
    1. 3000 has 3 antenna outputs.
    2. It as IF and receive outputs allowing you to connect and external SDRPlay and have a larger scope and two receivers.

The 7300 is a great radio and the audio is great and easy to setup. You can get great audio with the 3000 with a good quality microphone and learning the internal parametric eq.

KG6UEF likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TS-590SG

BG4NMT and AA1EZ like this.
  6. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7300 and the 3000 are both good transceivers. The overload issue with the 7300 is a known problem but seems to be blown out of proportion, and is going to depend on your local conditions. Keep the preamp turned off and occasionally some attenuation may be necessary, but most people don't seem to have any serious problems with it. The 3000 is decent but it has its own issues. I played with one for a while and I think its controls are awkward and inconvenient sometimes. I didn't like the antenna tuner. On receive it was not great. Acceptable, but not all that good. Considering the difference in price (I see the 7300 is going for $998 at DXE while the 3000 is almost $1,600) I think the 7300 is the much better deal.

Why do you want to get rid of the 950, though? I've never used a 950 but from what I've heard from others IMO going from a 950 to either one of these doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. If you're just tired of the 950 and want something different, that's absolutely fine. I often feel the same way. I wouldn't expect to see a significant improvement in either receive or transmit over the 950, though.

KG6UEF likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have both an IC-7300 as well as an FT-950... I prefer the 950 for how it works with my system on digital modes and on 60-meters. I use the 7300 mostly for casual operating and I like the band scope when wanting to see what the bands look like. I prefer the narrow filters on the 950 for "gotta get 'em in the log CW" contacts - down to 100 Hz. The noise reduction in the 950 is only fair but on the 7300 it works well.

Both are great solid rigs IMO. I was going to sell the 950 when I got the 7300 but I had a dickens of a time getting WSJT-X to work on the 7300 so I just kept the 950 since it works perfectly

Dave
    W7UUU

KG6UEF likes this.
  8. N1LOU

N1LOU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I bought my FTDX-3000 a few years back I spent some time in HRO playing with the 3000 and the 7300 side by side. To me the filtering and DSP on the 3000 was audibly better than on the 7300, just my opinion. I ran the 3000 without a computer or any software for years. What a mistake. My wife gave me an SDRplay RSP1a for Christmas (it was on sale for $89). I have paired that device with Win4yaesu suite ($60), OmniRig (free), FLDigi (free), Log4OM (free), WSJT-X (free), and HDSDR (free). So for around $150, I eliminated all the most common complaints on the FTDX-3000. Win4Yaesu suite removes virtually all of the issues with ergonomics and nested menu items. I never touch the radio itself anymore except to power up and key the mic. All other controls are on one PC monitor, my panadapter is on another monitor and it is a full screen, high resolution panadapter, with point and click frequency tuning using my mouse. All the programs communicate together through OmniRig, and logging is virtually automatic with digital modes. If I am using the spot function in Log4OM, I click on a spot and the radio automatically goes to the correct frequency and mode (assuming the data in the spot is correct ;).

The SDRplay panadapter is way better than what you get on the 7300 or the 3000. Light years ahead. But on the 7300 it is relatively more difficult to implement than on the 3000. The 3000 has the ports on the back (if out and/or RX out) already built in, no fuss, no muss. With a 7300 you have to either buy a T/R switch and do some gerry rigging, or you have to open the radio up and do a mod. I think that bit alone makes the price difference worth it for me. Also don't pay too much for the 3000. They are on sale all over the place now and I would think you could score a used one for right around $1000 if you are diligent about it.

N2LDE likes this.
  9. W4HRL

W4HRL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned both. Purchased the 7300 first, and about a year later acquired the 3000. I had them side-by-side for about 2 months before I sold the 7300.

Both are good radios. Good but different. The big difference for me was knobs (3000) vs touchscreen (7300). After using both, I came down on the "knob" side.

Granted choosing knobs over touchscreen cost me the best spectrum scope of the two. The 7300's scope is considerably better / nicer to use. With its adjust-ability, the 7300's scope could really show me more info than the 3000's. I currently use the 3000's scope just as a quick indicator of band activity.

Once I discovered the Win4Yaesu software, the FTdx-3000 really came into its own. With a click of the mouse every "knob-function" as well as some "menu-functions" became available on my laptop which I use for logging. (N3FJP's various logging software packages. Another great find.)

For my style of operating (casual DX chasing, some contests, and FT-8 via WSJT-X), at the moment, the FTdx-3000 is the one for me.

N1LOU likes this.
  10. N1LOU

N1LOU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You should really consider looking into an SDRplay device. The band scope that it can produce is outstanding.

BG4NMT likes this.