Icon IC-W2a Fuse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA7IEP, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to test each coil L1, L2, L3, L4, and L5, to find out if any of them are open. These can burn open like a fuse.

There is also a tantalum electrolytic capacitor on that board that could be a suspect, And could be shorted, Killing your battery.

Good Luck. Don't give up yet. If it can break it can be fixed. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    WZ7U likes this.
  2. WA7IEP

WA7IEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there an easy way to get to the top part of that board, that has the chokes and capacitor on it? It almost looks like the boards needs to be unsoldered from the coax connector. Or do you pull the knobs off of the top board and it all comes off together?

3. KA9JLM

I am not sure, But it looks like the plate that holds the antenna connector and controls slide out of the case all together.

If you look at the service manual you should be able to see the screws that need to be removed.

upload_2020-5-31_8-26-24.png

4. WA7IEP

I can see all of those chokes pretty well, without further disassembly, and it doesn't look like any are burnt open or loose. Is there anything else to look for to be the problem? I'm reluctant to start desoldering things to get it apart any further.

5. KA9JLM

You can measure them in circuit without removing them. Sometimes they can be open and still look fine.

The manual contains Theory of operation, You may want to review that and focus on the charging system. ;)

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering the age of the radio, it may well need a battery "transplant." Unfortunately, that isn't usually nearly as easy as it sounds. In (most) H-T's (and mobiles) the battery is usually soldered in, to prevent vibration disrupting the memory. THAT entails disassembly, unsoldering the old battery, finding the correct battery (with the correct type of solder tabs, and then soldering (QUICKLY!) the new battery, followed by reassembly. (Most of us are quite adept at disassembly; it's the RE-ASSEMBLY that can be a problem!) Many radios do NOT have space for a coin cell holder, especially H-T's.
    Most radios with a battery replacement will either cause or require a complete reset to to factory original status to properly operate.

I was lucky; my Standard (brand) dual-bander needed a new mic, but after 25 years, the tech "suggested" a battery replacement as preventive maintenance, since he already had the H-T apart.

7. WA7IEP

A already replaced the battery, and I didn't do it that quickly, for one reason because it was suggested that it didn't matter how quickly you did the replacement. No, it wasn't that much fun to replace. One battery lead goes underneath some sort of shield, that is soldered in place at several points, and looked like it could be a hassle to get back into position. I unsoldered the top contact, and then bent the bottom contact back and forth until it popped off of the battery. Then, I soldered the new battery contact onto that lead first and then the top battery contact. One thing that I did not do, is short the two battery contacts together on the board. I read somewhere that you should do that before installing the new battery, but I had already soldered the new battery in. I may try that next, as disassembling the radio to get a direct view of the component side of the connector board looks beyond what I feel comfortable doing, and could be something that is difficult to reassemble. I'm about ready to give up on this as I've read that if the Lithium battery ever dies and the VFO memory isn't refreshed (I think that's what I read) that it requires a board replacement. Icom verified that they no longer will work on this model of radio.

8. KA9JLM

If the battery was dead, No need to be in a hurry. Memory is already lost.

"soldering (QUICKLY!)" is to prevent damage from to much heat.

Have you tried disconnecting the charger and the battery pack for a long period of time ? That may force it to do a cold reset.

Good Luck.

9. WA7IEP

Was looking for some other radios last night, and I put a good battery on the IC-W2A again, and it is still dead. I honestly don't think I have the technical expertise to troubleshoot it any further so if someone wants the radio, rapid charger, wall wart charger, two good aftermarket batteries and the AA battery box I'd let it all go for $60 the shipping. I appreciate everyone's help on this.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Most H-T's (that) have a Li back-up battery have one that is soldered in, NOT in a holder. Unfortunately, when the battery either gets weak or dies (0r is being replaced,) the memory is often (usually) wiped out, as well as many other functions. If you CAN, try to at least write down the memory settings before you do anything else; if your disassembly AND "solder fu":rolleyes: is not very good, you might want to get the radio serviced by a competent, qualified repair person, rather than making a "DIY brick." Disassembly is usually quite easy, soldering the new battery can be a challenge, but the REAL expertise comes from being able to re-assemble the radio! (Without parts left over:(.)
    Good luck.