Icon IC-W2a Fuse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA7IEP, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can take your time replacing it. If it is dead it is doing nothing.

No memory damage should occur. Just be sure to get the polarity of the new battery correct.

2. WA7IEP

WA7IEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I'm seeing another issue. The red LED on the radio that is on while charging a battery stays lit when the wall wart charger is removed. I've been trying to keep several different batteries charged, in the hopes it will keep the radio alive until the Lithium battery gets here. I can take either NiMH battery pack off of the radio, but when I slide it back on, the RED LED comes on again. I think it's the transmit indicator light also. Not sure what to make of this development.

3. WA7IEP

I've been keeping the NiMH battery on the radio charged, hoping it will keep some charge in the Lithium battery. I unplugged the wall wart charger last night and the red LED on the radio stayed on. Took the battery pack off, and the LED went off, but as soon as I put the battery pack back on the red LED came back on. I finally plugged in the charging cord, then unplugged it, and the LED went off. Does that indicate anything about what might be wrong with the radio?

4. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a Volt Ohm Meter? If so try to see if the radio batteries you are try to recharge are actually taking a charge. I remember you saying they were old. I would bet you a diet Dr Pepper the batteries are not hold enough of a charge to power up the radio. You say you have one ordered. Just wait until you get it..

5. WA7IEP

I just bought the IC-W2A as a Christmas present for myself a couple years ago, so I know that two of the NiMH batteries (aftermarket) aren't that old, as I bought them. Also, I have a AA Alkaline battery pack for the radio. None of them will power the radio up now. I think that both of the newer NiMH batteries are charging up to a little over 8V, so I'm pretty sure they're good. The radio is in nearly mint condition, so it's a shame if it's ended up being a paperweight because of a design that let the Lithium battery getting weak ruin it.

6. WA7IEP

Well, I replaced the Lithium Ion battery and the radio still won't power up. I tried the reset and still won't power up. I took the radio apart again today, looking to see if something was missed. Whatever is going on, the Lithium battery is almost dead now. Just about ready to give up and post everything for parts, but figured I'd ask if anyone had an idea of something else to check.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you take a look at the connections on the Connector Unit, And measure L1-L5 for continuity ? Verify that they are not open.

upload_2020-5-30_7-21-21.png

8. WA7IEP

Is it very difficult to get to the bottom of that board? Will the board come off from the top of the radio? With the AC adapter plugged into the top of the radio, the main battery is charging, just not the Lithium battery. I'll try to take it apart again tonight to see if I can check the measurement.

9. WA7IEP

I have the radio apart now, and am trying to measure for continuity between L1 and L5, from the bottom side of the board, on the side with the connectors for the VHF and UHF unit. If I'm checking the correct points there is no continuity between these two points.

10. WA7IEP

I found I could reach both coils without taking the radio apart any further. Definitely no continuity between L1 and L5. Also checked the Lithium battery and it was at about 0.6V. It was almost dead last night.