Icon IC-W2a Fuse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA7IEP, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7IEP

WA7IEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone tell me if there is an internal fuse in the IC-W2a? I've seen references to a fuse but can't find it in the service manual.
    Thank You

2. WA7IEP

Sorry, it's not an ICON, it's Icom.

3. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, speak for yourself, I had one of those 25 yeara ago, and had not owned another HT until a few months ago, it is kind of iconic...

4. WA7IEP

I really hope I can revive it with a new Lithium battery, or find a blown fuse. It makes me sick that it could be unrepairable because the Lithium battery is dying and didn't keep the CPU memory alive. It is a really nice radio. Features are better, in my opinion, than my Kenwood TH-79A, as both UHF and VHF have squelch adjustments and I just like how it works. If I can't revive it, I'm going to post if for parts. I have 3 NiMH batteries, desktop and wall wart charger, AA Alkaline battery pack and a Diamond antenna for it. Is yours still working OK? Did you ever have to replace the Lithium battery?

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried a CPU reset ?

upload_2020-5-21_6-41-48.png

6. WA7IEP

Yes, I've tried the CPU reset several times. Nothing happens, and the radio won't turn on. I took the radio apart the other day, and found the Lithium battery. It was showing about 0.8V across it. I don't know if that could be why the radio won't start. I've charged the radio several times over the past 4 or 5 days, and tried the CPU reset every time, but it won't start. I have a Lithium battery on order, but don't know if that is going to fix the problem.

7. AD7VB

AD7VB Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, That could be the problem.

It sounds like it could be loading down the CPU clock voltage.

It looks like the service manual posted above is very good. :)

Good Luck.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  9. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

I got out of the hobby in the late 90's and back in a few months ago, so who knows who has it now or what the status is. I didn't know it had a internal lithium battery... I hope you can get it working. Aside from the bulky by today's standards battery packs, it was a great radio, or rather two radios in one box!

10. WA7IEP

If the Lithium battery is the only thing keeping the CPU memory refreshed, I wonder if there is a procedure for changing it. Does it need to be replaced fairly quickly so that the memory isn't damaged? I'm just hoping that it will work if the battery is replaced.