Icom V86 Battery Pack?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9VJD, Feb 19, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9VJD

KC9VJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Icom V86 HT and the optional AA battery holder for it. It says right on the holder not to use Ni-Cad or Ni-Mh batteries,only alkaline. Why is that? TIA

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably due to lower voltage.

3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What he said ^^^^^^
    Google nicad vs alkaline and you'll get a good explanation.

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use NiMH AAs in the pack for my IC-V8, which is an older version of the IC-V86. It works fine. I ran the same set of batteries for a weekend camping trip that included two SOTA activations and still have power at the end.

Voltage with NiMH is lower than alkaline or lithium AAs, but I've only seen it be a factor in one application (a set of LED "fairy lights").

The bigger issue I've seen is NiMH tend to be slightly fatter than alkaline or lithium batteries, which can present a fitment issue in some battery trays. The AA tray in my FT-817 was such a case. Removing the center divider in the tray solved that issue. Those batteries are slightly tight in my IC-V8, but not so much that I'm inclined to resort to surgery.

Chris

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One other "problem" (some NiMH batteries ARE a bit "fatter" than "alkaline" batteries) is their need to be recharged individually, and they give significantly LESS warning when they are about to "die," whereas the decline of the alkaline batteries is more gradual, and thus more noticeable.