Icom V-8000 Great 2M. rig

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB8RU, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8GHB

K8GHB Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ June 13 2004,12:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I got one. The receive is sensitive enough, quite good in fact, but the front end could be tighter. Intermod &amp; overload are problems on 2 meters. Seems to do much better with these problems on the railroad band where I spend most of the time anyway.
    Why doesn't the squelch on all the 2 meter mobile radios I've had so far have more effect? It would be nice to sq. all sigs below s5 if I wanted to (but can't). Tx for 1 sec and the fan comes on for 2 mins. I think a temp controlled fan would be better.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The fan is temp controlled in that it will continue running past the pre set &quot;Automatic&quot; time if the heatsink is above a preset temperature. As far as having to get the book out every time you want to do something, You should take the time to memorize basic functions like setting tones, programming channels, etc, anyway. This radio is EASY to operate from the mic. And, while it is true that another 25 watts may not make that much difference in most circumstances, it is also possible that that extra 25 will be the lifesaving difference, especially when you consider that this radio is frequency agile and can be modded to transmit from 137-175 Mhz (which includes marine, MURS, public safety, commercial interstital frequencies other than MURS...) easilly. And, legal;ities aside, you know many modify not only this model, but many others as well, since most if not all of the current crop, both mono and dualbanders, are designed to be frequency agile so one model can be structured by computer to serve various needs.

Of course, it is illegal to operate on out of band frequencies, but, in a life threatening emergency in the boonies or a disaster of some sort, the ability to TX on the 154-156 Public safety frequencies may just proove to be the critical difference. If you are saving a life, or, helping in a widespread disaster, you can be pretty sure you're legal doing so.

I use mine base and it is a fine performer.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.