ICOM T-81A

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6DKS, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6DKS

WA6DKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like information on the quality and use of an ICOM T-18A Quad band HT.

Please give me the pros and cons.

2. VE3ALY

VE3ALY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello WA6DKS...I own an Icom IC-T81A and I am mostly happy with it. A pro would be the fact that it is very small for a radio that can work 4 bands. The audio is clear and loud. It is easy to operate once you get used to the joystick control. A con would be that it is a one band at a time radio...no crossband operation for working satellites. That's about it...73s. [​IMG]

3. AG9R

AG9R Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ve3aly @ Aug. 28 2002,21:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hello WA6DKS...I own an Icom IC-T81A and I am mostly happy with it. A pro would be the fact that it is very small for a radio that can work 4 bands. The audio is clear and loud. It is easy to operate once you get used to the joystick control. A con would be that it is a one band at a time radio...no crossband operation for working satellites. That's about it...73s. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed I Love mine and Bought My Son One for his birthday

4. KG4JPL

KG4JPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned a T81a for a bit over a year and have had most positive results. I have many repeaters programmed in its vast memory bank. The only issues I have heard of are its tendancy to get a bit warm at full power, and it has been observed in some cases to overdeviate. The overdeviation problem can be fixed by opening up the radio, check the mods section if you are interested. As for getting hot, I had mine cease to transmit after a long hour and a half QSO at full power [​IMG] It is a good radio, and i give it two thumbs up. I have heard that most new HT's get hot, and a few become uncomfortably so.

- KG4JPL

5. N3LGN

N3LGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Cut and pasted from m,y post in the equipment review swction;
    Knowing now what I didn't know then, I would not buy the thing again. The &quot;toggle&quot; is far to small for me I can never get it to go into program mod while on the road and wanting to put in a new freq. The programing software and cable are easy to use but you need a computer to hook into so unless you travel with a laptop, be sure to have all you programing done before you leave home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.