ad: HamInsurance-1

Icom Radios - USA vs Japan versions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by PU2KEH, Sep 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. PU2KEH

PU2KEH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Everyone,

I tried to search something estricted related to the topic I'm about to find, but the search doesn't returned any post with the complete answers I need to go on this idea. Sorry if I missed something already posted, and if this is the case, I ask to moderators to close the thread.

I'm a ham radio operator from Brazil, and due to many government and taxes reasons, it's really expensive to get an equipment here. I'm a licensed ham operator, Class C.

My brother Lived almost 15 years in Japan due to work reasons, and he is coming back to Brazil, once for all. He asked me what I want as a good present from there, and I decided to take a little advantage from this, lol, and ask him to bring a transceiver that for our reality, is completely hard to get in normal ways. I decided to take an Icom 7610. He is coming back on December, so my doubts are:

- In my previous searches through QRZ forums, I saw many people saying about Japan Versions and "Export Versions" of all transceivers. Japan band plan is completely different from our Brazil band plans, which makes me wonder if I bring a transceiver from there, I will experience a lot of problems in terms of TX range and things like this?

- Is it possible to buy the same version that is on sale in the USA on Japan market? What are the big differences regarding TX/RX range, Power, etc?

- I told him the best place to buy this equipment there would be Akihabara, in Tokyo, which is abou 150 miles distance from his home, and seens that there they give the customer the possibility to buy any version, Is it true?

Any recomendations or tips on this idea would be helpfull too.

Sorry if my english is bad, and thanks in advance and best regards for all
    73 from PU2KEH

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The voice module will be in Japanese. Also, the band coverage may be different, but operation should be about the same. I'm pretty sure there are others on this forum who will know a lot more about it than I do. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you, that is a very nice radio.

3. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Japanese versions do not have the same frequencies and it is not possible to change that with remove or mount of diodes.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HF or VHF equipment?

5. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen used 10 watt Japanese versions of HF radios for sale on eBay and elsewhere. I believe these are made specifically for the Japanese 10 watt license class.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember, too...that the manufacturer may not honor warranties on "grey market" radios...radios sold somewhere other than their intended country.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Read post #1, equipment brand and model is listed.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Japanese model receives on all the frequencies of the U.S. model; however for transmitting, there are differences, only on 160m, 80m and 40m.

The JA model only transmits up to 1.9125 MHz on 160m and has a few kHz spaces between 1.800 and 1.9125 where it will not transmit.

The JA model only transmits up to 3.805 MHz on 80m and has a few kHz spaces between 3.500 and 3.805 where it will not transmit.

The JA model only transmits 7.000 to 7.200 MHz on 40m.

On all bands above 40m (30m through 6m), the JA and U.S. models both transmit across the full U.S. authorized bands.

I would think the difference is firmware only and Icom may be able to tell you if they have a firmware upgrade available to convert the JA transmitting frequency ranges to the U.S. (or Brazilian) frequency ranges. I don't know, and never asked.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

In Akihabara some shops not only sell the Japanese versions but also export versions.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. PU2KEH

PU2KEH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Guys, helped a lot so far, thank you so much for the replies.

I understand that the warranty is something I can't count, Icom presence here in Brazil was good in the past, but sales office doesn't answer any email. They are focused only on Government and comercial deals, hams are on their own here. At least is what I can notice. We have 2 or 3 good technicians for entire country that, if presents some problem, I can send the radio to them. It takes time, but it is what it is.

WB2WIK, thanks for detailing these differencies. Maybe for 80 meter can be an issue cause it is the band I mostly spend more hours. I'll try to find in the specs the sections it will not transmit. Hope it's a firmware, try to contact them and get a response. and Update you if I get an answer.

HB9PJT, Peter, thanks a lot for this information. Do you know if we can simply ask for the export version when purchasing the radio? I'm trying to figure this out, cause since my brother hast to make a trip to Akihabara, maybe he can order the equipment in one visit, and another visit to take it.

Thanks for all hams fellows that spend some time to help me on this. Let's see if anyone have more tips on this, but for now, clarified my doubts a lot.

73's