Icom PW1 Broke - fix or sell as is ???

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KQ0J, Nov 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey all , 10+ year old Amp has the fault condx and flashing band indicator. Working fine one day, broke the next.

Local repair shop says finals are good and he can not fix it - must go back to ICOM for repair - maybe a control board or something.

Given the size and weight and possible cost of the repairs. what would you recommend - send to Icom for a couple hundred in packing and shipping and hope the cost of repair is low or sell it as is and get a new more
    current amplifier.

Thanks for any input.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would repair it myself and save a bunch of money.

Could be a $2 part.

Good Luck.

K0UO likes this.
  3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you do not get a recommendation for good tech here .
    Find a local ham radio club and ask around for local tech .
    Like anything , multiple referrals etc.

Good technicians are getting harder to find , especially local - components getting smaller / eyes getting older ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd first try to describe as accurately as possible what the problem seems to be, and post it on the AMPS forum (which is run by eHam.net) to see if anyone recognizes the same symptoms. You have to "join" the AMPS forum to post there, but it doesn't cost anything.

A lot of PW-1s were sold (I've never owned one, but have sure used them elsewhere) and there must be a lot of them out there. SOMEBODY likely knows how to fix it, but detailing the symptoms as accurately as possible can go a long way.

Since you've determined the PA transistors are good, the problem must be elsewhere. Such amps have a lot of control circuits, and sometimes a $1 I.C. or transistor can crash the whole amp. It would be a pity to lose a lot of money when it can likely be repaired.

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A broke amp ain't worth very much. Don't know too many who would buy one. I had a PW-1 for over 10 years and sold my last year at Dayton for something like $2000??? I can't remember exactly but I would box the fellow up, send him back and get it fixed. You will still come out ahead. Just my 2 cents worth.

6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Too expensive not to repair as a broken PW-1 is worth only around $500. Only option is to send back to ICOM if a local tech is not available.

7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Local tech that looked at it is said to be the best in this area of Florida and does repairs from many states so I guess I will trust his judgement.

The amp had been in the shop a couple of years ago I am just not sure if its nearing end of life. I just dont want to end up with the hassle
    of packing and shipping and potentially dropping a Thousand bucks or more when I can get a new, albeit not as nice Amp for $2,500.

8. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless the finals are blown, no way a $1000 repair bill would come forth.

9. N8CBX

N8CBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me know when you put it out on the curve for pickup.
    Jan N8CBX

KQ0J and KD0CAC like this.
  10. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I missed that you had to a local tech .
    I would like to see a more detailed description of what he found ?
    It's hard to understand that only Icom can fix , unless it's something like a chip that only they have & sell ?
    I've micro soldering and going 2-3 layers deep in a circuit board to do repairs , its getting harder to understand not being able to to repair ham gear .
    The need for the next tool , a stereo microscope ;)

It's a hole other subject when talking about Apple / who ever is trying to keep others from doing repair .