icom pro3 power output

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W8KER, Sep 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W8KER

W8KER XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i have a pro 3 that transmit full power out put untill it warms up then drop to 10watts

2. KL7SG

KL7SG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the cooling fan running?
    If so, is it running at high speed?

3. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be a ALC or more likely a RF pa problem.

Dave

KL7SG likes this.
  4. W8KER

Yeah I got a fan on the back also sucking air out to help keep it run cool

5. W8KER

I’m thinking ref pa problem sending it off to get look at might be a simple fix might not I get it fixed guess going buy 7300 to do Digital on use this for voice

6. KL7SG

KL7SG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I also have a Pro III and it is still working fine; but, the day it dies -- I will be off looking for a new radio.
    I can't complain about the Pro III because it just keeps on going. Icom has some really nice new radio's -- I just can't justify replacing a great working radio now that I am retired.

Anyway, good luck with your's. It is probably in the ALC or PA area; but, you probably already know that.
    You might look at the PA drive level to see if it is falling off.

7. W8KER

I’m like u pro 3 is a great radio mine one of the last ones they made just parts getting hard to find I heard and icom doesn’t want to work on them any more which is a shame

KL7SG likes this.
  8. W8KER

9. W4FBI

W4FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

If the serial number is greater than 4500, you are in luck. Icom re-designed the PA board and used MOS FET finals. Component(s) on the PA board are most likely the culprit. If your serial is lower than 4500 - the Bi-Polar transistor finals and some other devices are un-obtainium...

KL7SG likes this.
  10. K4DDT

K4DDT Ham Member QRZ Page

OP, I suggest you join the 756 pro 3 group, https://groups.io/g/ic756pro3

You'll find threads on similar issues there along with sources for some of those hard to find parts .. Plus helpful advice