Icom OPC-581 separation cable; the hunt is on!

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by NH7RO, Aug 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased an Icom 706 MkIIG that I plan to put in my car; unfortunately Icom discontinued the OPC-581 along with other accessories when they discontinued making the 706. Now I'm search high and low for one---if anyone knows of any "secret stash" of them anywhere please let me know.

I've already put Wanted ads in the QRZ and eHam forums and am trying to get the word out every way I can hence my post here as well. Wish me luck, I have a hunch it may be a long search...

73, Jeff, NH7RO

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Luck! If you do find one at this late date, you may end up spending more for it than you did for the transceiver! But.... There is something else to consider as well.

The IC-706, and its various iterations, went through about 5 different final board designs. None are currently available, nor are any of the finals installed on those boards. If for any reason the transceiver fails, about all you end up with is a boat anchor. So whatever you do, treat the old girl better than a wife! After all, you can replace a wife in most cases, albeit you might not be able to afford to do so! The same goes for the IC-706MkIIg!

3. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one of those cables around here somewhere. Give me a day or so to find it.

At one time, they were including an RMK kit for free with a 706. I used the transceiver mounting bracket but not the cable or head unit mounting bracket.

4. NH7RO

Great, Paul; Glad I posted my query. I'll be standing by. Here's my email address: cathrowinternational (at) Hotmail (dot) com if you want to let me know when you find it---Many thanks!

Jeff, NH7RO

5. WC5P

Cable located. E-Mail sent.

6. NH7RO

Email replied to; many thanks for helping me out! 73, Jeff

7. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully, the little 2 mm screw is with the cable. If not, you need to get one. If memory serves, it is 2 mm x 5 mm. If it doesn't have one, I do have a few laying around, as they are the same size as the chassis screws. Without the screw to ground the cable on the main unit, you'll have RF issues.

8. WC5P

Yep, the little screw is present. I put a little orange flag on it so you can't miss it.

I could be wrong, but it looks like a screw commonly used in computers and such.

AA7QQ likes this.
  9. NH7RO

Thanks for the offer, Alan; I've replaced that little screw before when I had an earlier 706 non-G; looks like I'll be good to go thanks to this forum and Paul responding (done deal)---a dream come true for this fan of portable/mobile operating.

73, Jeff

10. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If anyone loses the little screw go to a PC shop that repairs laptops. Its a fairly common screw size in laptops and most PC shops that do in house laptop repairs have a pot full of screws they'll probably let you go through.