Icom  AH-4   auto Antenna Tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WQ1H, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WQ1H

WQ1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any experience- good or bad Also any comments about the AH-2b antenna element. I am not looking for the most efficient antenna...just one that works for my XYL with out switching resonators...we have Hustler...a lot of them... Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave WQ1H

2. N2PVP

N2PVP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using the AH-4 with my 706 in the car using a 102" steel whip. It tunes down to 40M with this set up. [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm using an AH-4 w/my Icom 706Mk2G, also into a 102" stainless steel whip, w/ a quick-disconnect fitting at the base of the whip.  It tunes from 6-80m, although I don't know exactly what kind of signal gets put out on 80m (haven't made any 80m contacts yet).  I have gotten good reports from Russia, though, from my mobile set-up.  Make sure your ground connections are well made.

Dave
    KG4OIJ

4. KK5ZD

KK5ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used the ah-4 tuner for about five years now with three mobile antenna setups. I have used the hustler 80m coil, an 80m hamstick,  and a bugcatcher style antenna for mobile use.  I can tune from 80-10 meters on all three with the ah-4. I use an icom 706 original and have been completely satisfied with the operation of both radio and tuner. Instead of switching coils, put the 80m coil on, and let the tuner do the rest.   73's    Keith

5. N2PVP

N2PVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone tried it with an 80M ham stick? [​IMG]

6. N3LGN

N3LGN Ham Member QRZ Page

KK5ZD !!!!! Are you saying use an 80M coil and it will tune to all the lower bands?? I was lead to believe if you used a coil for a specific band, It would not tune to the other freq's. By the way, I'm using the tuner with the 102 whip also, tunes great from 40m to 6m

7. KK5ZD

KK5ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it will tune the other bands. It tunes your whip, so why wouldn't it tune the coil just like the whip? Anyway, try it and see how you like it. If you have any further questions, please email me at my call sign @arrl.net 73's

8. WX4BB

WX4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all - I use the Icom auto tuner with my Icom 706II, and the Icom whip - contacts all over the world.  Tuning on some bands is a bit spotty once in a while, but overall VERY satisfactory.  I have even talked to KK5ZD with it - hi Keith!!!

I am planning to try a sort of cap hat for 80, but haven't gotten around to it yet - never give up!

73 de KA3BIS
    Boots   [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.