ad: ProAudio-1

Icom launch innovative IC-R8600 wideband communication receiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one is it, a business or a hobby for you?

3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

It won't do trunking, therefore it's no good for this government radio network manager.

4. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

I think it’s pretty sweet. I won’t be getting one anytime soon but I could see having one a few years from now.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A hobbie obvisouly. If I was in the business I'd be saying what a great deal it is. :)

6. MW0SBX

MW0SBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not worth it, its not like you can listen to the police or anything anymore in UK its all encrypted plus SDR can do it all.

7. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really so obvious. And why is it a great deal if it's a business? In my case, same value, different pocket.

8. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

No in USD from a US retailer! I posted the link up above!

9. PA3BKL

PA3BKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, for the real thing, check out this masterpiece, from the University of Twente in the Netherlands:
    http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

K2NCC likes this.
  10. MM6ECO

MM6ECO Ham Member QRZ Page

• SD card slot for received log, decode log and voice recording!

Is it legal to record people?

11. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I just bought the IC-R8600 (along with the SP-39A). It's $2,499 USD. It will be followed by my purchase of the IC-7300 [Christmas] and IC-9700 [when available] (also with their applicable external speakers).

WD4DXQ likes this.
  12. AD5IN

AD5IN Ham Member QRZ Page

resonant antennas are important for transmitting, not receiving.
    If you knew anything about FPGA programming it's only a matter of time until
    other digital modes are added. But I suspect Icom will try to prevent others from
    doing this. Good luck with that. FPGAs are a great way to add features for zero cost.
    I'm wondering if it's using Xilinx or Altera FPGAs.

KK4VRE likes this.
  13. AD5IN

Hams have been making low pass filters since Marconi first discovered radio.
    Someone will start manufacturing them , probably already on the market.

14. AD5IN

P25 is trunking.

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

P25 is a radio communications suite of standards developed by APCO about 20 years ago. Its many "standards" include the following, the Common Air (wireless) Interface (CAI), the Fixed Station Interface (FSI), the InterRF SubSystem Interface (ISSI), the Console SubSystem Interface (CSI), the Network Management Interface (NSI) the Data Network Interface (DNI) the Telephone Interconnect Interface (TNI) and the Subscriber Data Peripheral Interface.

P25 is NOT a specifically "trunked" interface. The standards suite directly supports a CONVENTIONAL or non-trunked network, specifically for smaller or rural areas where an expensive multi-channel "trunked" system is impractical. It supports trunked systems as well.

That being said, a conventional "non-trunked" P25 radio network could interoperate with "trunked" P25 radio network through its ISSI standard. System and individual radio IDs would pass between the networks allowing for a certain amount of inter-connectedness. If allowed, a "roaming" between conventional to trunked and trunked to trunked systems could take place, given permissions and programming. Behind the scenes permissions and programming or provisioning would have to allow such operations. The ISSI interface would again address such behind-the-scenes inter-connectedness.

I suggest you read up on P25. I have as a past LMR Engineer and Senior Consultant in the PSMR business (for a decade), and presently as the trunked radio systems manager for the City Of Milwaukee (WI).

And from what I've read, this current Icom DSP radio does NOT support "trunked" P25 systems, only the decode of C4FM CONVENTIONAL P25 networks (at least Phase I and likely not 2-slot Phase II Time Domain Multiplexing (TDM). Unfortunately, the greatest majority of P25 networks today are operating in a "trunked" environment. And a good majority are encrypted, kept from the prying ears of the scanner owning public. This new Icom is not a trunking capable scanner...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017