ad: MyersEng-1

Icom ID-4100A vs ID-880H Smackdown

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Aug 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4IB

KK4IB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using DSTAR for quite a while, like it very much, it's growing/expanding and is great mode for simplex!!! A friend just got the 5100, very nice! The touch screen is a very good boost since the menu structure gains easier access. The touch screen works great. DSTAR is a huge part of ARES operations in central Georgia.

2. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a Technician & I have both Neuropathy & Arthritis in both hands so I could not hold the soldering iron firmly enough if I was a Technician. I replaced the radio with an ICOM 4100a so it's not an issue for me & I gave the 880H to my neighbor & I Sold my 2820H to a friend. I Rarely use the 4100a for D-STAR because I use my ID-51a PLUS 2 for that & I could also use my ICOM 9100 if I wished to do so but I have only used it for HF DV Mode & not D-STAR.

Clayton
    W4KVW

3. W4KVW

If you set the display to just display the frequency the display is as large as the 880H & that's how I leave mine. It only reduces in size when it's receiving a D-STAR signal so it can give you the information from the D-STAR stations on the bottom of the screen.

Clayton
    W4KVW

4. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Good lord! You replied to a 6 year old post... a second time.

5. W4KVW

It's called,FREEDOM & it's something we should ENJOY while we still can because it's Quickly Going Away with our Dictatorship in America. Also YES the LORD is GOOD,All of the time HE is GOOD!

6. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing we will agree upon. But in this case I'm not sure of the point.

Thanks,

7. W4KVW

FREEDOM of CHOICE. I prefer making my own choices & this is just One of Many that I make daily & as long as the topic has Not been Closed I consider it Open for discussion. Everyone has their own opinion & ours may differ & that's 100% OK with me. {:>)

8. WA4SUP

WA4SUP Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WA4SUP

WA4SUP Ham Member QRZ Page

The DSTAR/GPS board costs more than the radio.

10. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wires-X blows Dstar out of the water.

11. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@W4KVW How are you doing these days, Mr. Icom King? Missed you around here lately.

12. W4KVW

I’m blessed.Hope that you are as well.I’m in the process of rebuilding my home station but I should have the New station together by the end of the week if we survive the Hurricane.Buying a New ICOM 7610,ICOM 9100,ICOM PW-1& more and maybe the ICOM 7700 will also be back together.Lightning is not our friend but you can’t let it get you down.It’s only stuff and that’s what insurance is for.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KE0GXN likes this.
  13. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to hear Clayton. All the best and stay safe!

14. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

My ID-880H was a great radio and I regret selling (picture) but dStar network is too unstable and almost every QSO drops out after about the 3rd over. When you return after your over mostly the other person is talking to some one else and when you talk to them they say "oh, you dropped out and I thought you were gone!"

Hundreds of times this happened and at other locations and other rigs!

Had enough and went to Wires-X with no issues, but still a great radio despite only a single receive dual band FM rig.

Great AM Air band monitor for local airport...

[​IMG]

PS: Icom finally sorted out a decent fan control menu in this model! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  15. W4KVW

Well I lost my tower & all antennas in the Hurricane so I'm down to an Antron 99 & I just purchased another ICOM 9100 Today so I'm back on the Rebuild Road. The tower had been up for over 20 years & it survived many Hurricanes, Tropical Storms, & Florida Thunderstorms but I already have everything lined up to get everything replaced very soon. It's just Stuff & not worth crying over. I'll be back really soon. I refuse to stay down.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KE0GXN likes this.