ad: Retevis-1

Icom ID-4100A vs ID-880H Smackdown

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Aug 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

KA8UGB, N5AP and W9LRM like this.
  2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here, let me save you 32 minutes of your life:

tl;dr: Dot matrix screen, GPS built-in w/ repeater bearing/distance, terminal and access point modes, everything else exactly the same, still no APRS. Not that it matters, because you can't even buy an 880H anymore (except used) as it is discontinued.

KE8FJW and K1FBI like this.
  3. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my IC-880H just fine but it needs a set of finals in the UHF side as did a local friends 880H.He was told by the tech in Texas who did the repair that they have failure issues when used on High Power.If I can't feel safe about using it on High Power when I get it repaired I'm not sure if I care to keep it in the shack? I may splurge & buy another IC-2820H since I hate the New Touch Screen D-STAR rigs that have took it's place.If ICOM continues with the touch screen rigs I'll be forced too change brands or buy all Used Gear in the future. :(

Clayton
    W4KVW

4. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the dot matrix screen a good or bad thing?

I would have purchased one of these over the 5100 if it had simultaneous receive (V/V, U/U or at the very least V/U).

5. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not turn the power down a bit? It's either current draw or heat. Monitor the current draw change in UHF transmit. The difference will be very close to what the finals are drawing. If it's too much for the finals rating, lower the power until it's in tolerance.

If it's heat, lowering the power should help as well. Maybe a slightly better heatsink on the back. Or small 12 volt fan is all that is needed. These are simple mods that would probably make the radio reliable once it's repaired.

Thanks,

Ed

W0ODI likes this.
  6. W4KVW

I'd rather move up to a radio that is safe too operate at spec & not worry about it failing because I talk on it.I should NOT need to make modifications to a radio because it was poorly designed or any piece of gear for that matter.The 2820H is a much better built radio in my opinion & it performs just as it was designed to do without any mods to do so.

Clayton
    W4KVW

AE0DM likes this.
  7. WD8ED

Sure. But you also shouldn't have to get rid of it because you are afraid to kill it again. You're a ham. It's a simple thing to fix. Lots of gear in ham radio is less than perfect. I find it cheaper and easier to fix most of these issues when I can. It's less expensive.

To each his own.

Thanks,

Ed

8. K7RHT

K7RHT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dstar is dying anyway, switch to DMR and problem solved.

9. W4KVW

If I can't use it at high power output then I don't care to own or use it.Turning down the power is easy but I purchased it for the output power & features & I want gear that I can use all of the features even at high power if I so desire & it not be an issue & it appears that it is an issue.Thanks for your time,suggestions,& concern.

Clayton
    W4KVW
    ZERO interest in DMR & that crap that Yaesu has out either.Would not consider either for FREE but Thanks for the input.I see no lack of users on D-STAR & I am very happy with how it works & who is there too work when I feel the urge to work it.I hear New users most every day so maybe you did not pay attention?

Clayton
    W4KVW

10. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious,Whats wrong with the touch screen? I don't own any,and I am looking at getting a new dual band. I really like the looks of the 5100,but??

11. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! Platinum, Life member trolling? D-Star is growing by leaps and bounds. DMR is as well. Yaesu is trying hard to stay in the game with very attractive prices on their Fusion gear but if I were to guess which one goes away first, I would guess Fusion.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. W4KVW

I hate a touch screen for my use.I wipe the screen on my radios now all of the time & that's when they are not a touch screen.I have no desire to be touching the screen so that I need too wipe it even more often.I don't own a cell phone so I don't have that issue with a touch screen but see the face of the phones of friends & family members who do own them & it makes me hate a touch screen display even more.Makes no sense to me on a radio when a button works just fine for doing just what they are now doing by touching the screen.I believe the screens will need replacing from scratches & other issues & the cost will not be cheap.I own a radio in most cases much longer than most people own a cell phone before getting a new one & if it's like other radios that are discontinued then the screens could be difficult to get & the repair cost would not be worth the repair.Of course that is what the companies want so that we keep buying new gear.Of course none of the companies will ever admit they make disposable radios but today all of them do no matter the brand.

Clayton
    W4KVW

13. WD8ED

Clayton, check the tone of your posts. Folks are just offering suggestions and asking questions.

Thanks,

Ed

14. M0WAO

M0WAO Ham Member QRZ Page

my issue is that the 4100 screen makes everything very small and hard to see when driving your vehicle
    the lettering of the 880 is much bigger and easier to see IMHO

AB8XL and N4THC like this.
  15. KD2OM

KD2OM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the IC-7100 and although the touch screen takes a bit of getting used to, I like it. I also have the ID-880 and never have gotten used to the menu structure. For me I get lost with no recovery while trying to make changes. I would like to sell it and get a ID-5100 to replace it.
    Steve KD2OM