Icom ID-4100A release debut

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be great if we can get an all-mode version, but I can use the 706MkIIG until then :rolleyes:

2. VK5FPAC

VK5FPAC Ham Member QRZ Page

So what is really different about this from the ID-880H besides the integration of all the previous models optional extra accessories into the one new product?

All I can see is a display that will be harder to see when driving and the hand mic that offers a lot less functionality than the previous model.

[​IMG]

So what is the big rapture about as there is no C4FM, DMR, Wires-X, SSB, SDR integration options or anything really besides the immediate unavailability of the previous model?

I luv my ID-880H and can't see any real advantage offered in this new rehash of an existing product!

...is there?

3. VK5FPAC

4. G1ZRN

G1ZRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Check the small print, Bluetooth is an option as it is on the ID-5100.

Cheers,
    Mike G1ZRN.

5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes, they just have to modernize an existing line....

VK5FPAC likes this.
  6. G0URK

G0URK Ham Member QRZ Page

Integrated GPS unlike the 880, was always a major lacking feature for a D-Star mobile, also terminal and access point mode will negate the use for DVAP's etc , I always liked the 880 and thought it would be a great 2nd mobile radio for the 2nd car, will be waiting for this now.

7. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand the need for yet another radio. Ever since I saw the 5100, I wanted one, just couldn't afford it.
    Now there's yet another radio out? According to Rixpix, the 5100a came out in 2014, and we're barely into 2017.
    I was saving for an IC-91, and finally had enough saved when the IC-92 came out so I got that.
    Even though the black finish is coming off, the thing still works, and I see no need to replace it.
    Maybe I'm old school, but I use something until it no longer works and I can't fix it.
    I'm curious as to what the differences is between the two radios, but I do think that I'll keep saving for a 5100.

8. KJ6RGX

KJ6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

DStar repeater function looks promising...

9. PU7LLS

PU7LLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I mean This radio will not pass add Warp to be able to operate itself is already a Vap and it has a connection via the internet to be able to operate the to be there so it will not need otherwise only they you already enter via internet

10. VK5FPAC

...what? :confused:

KR6AUL likes this.