Icom IC718 - Noise, Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M7OJW, Dec 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

If I suspected my radio, I would take it, some wire and jumper cables and go out away from the power lines and see what I could pick up.

This will verify your rig.

Next....build an adjustable active audio filter.

And last... bandpass filter(s) for your home antenna.

2. M7OJW

M7OJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Something along these lines?

https://www.radioworld.co.uk/vec-84...MIjM-4_YGZ5gIVzbTtCh3DaQjqEAQYBCABEgJXPfD_BwE

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-5-...Shortwave-Interference-Radio-Ham/263770573280

3. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger on the audio filter. I built one from a 70s ham article, on peg board, and it turned out neater than a skeeter's peter.

And depending on your noise environment, one might need individual bandpass filters.

But I would try a receiving loop first. Just a loop alone........will familiarize you to your noise environment.

Using one antenna for RX and another for TX is common in noisy environments.

The bandpass only need use for RX.

4. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't worry about a different rig, despite what some on the internet claim, there isn't a whole lot of difference between them as far as basic receiver performance goes.

(I have repaired thousands and thousands of receivers :) )

What I can assure you is there is a great deal of difference in location.

city= very noisy
    Village=pretty noisy
    Rural=kinda noisy
    Woods=this aint bad
    My camping spot on Elleber knob in the middle of the "national radio quiet zone"=this is what shortwave sounds like in heaven :)

Rege

6. M7OJW

I think the portable option is a good idea, plus I love camping and being outdoors so is a bonus.

It might sound cynical but I get the feeling a lot of hams like spending lots of money on kit, like talking about it, but don't actually use it half as much.

I might be wrong but that's the impression I've gotten from some of the guys at the club I went to. Anyway I don't want to bad mouth people but if you look online there's a million and one things to spend lots of money on and all claim to be indispensable, but I don't really have a great deal of money but would like to think it can be done without costing the earth.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. I have a fair few things to go away and try now, will keep you updated as to my success, or lack of! No, think positive, I'll get going on HF and be working the world before long.

Owen

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No one is paying attention to my post, so here is an approximation of the AD COM speaker performance. Although it does not affect the S meter, I estimated the noise reduction listening to the band noise as being reduced from an S9 on 75 meters at night to an S3 noise level.

8. M7OJW

Cool, that's a massive difference, does it have a negative effect in the audio at all? Would you say you can copy signals that you previously couldn't even hear using the speaker? I was looking at the bhi DSP speaker, any idea how this compares to it?

Owen

9. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone I'm sure expects that you are listening on SSB not AM right?

LSB on 40m and below
    USB on 30m and above

FT8 may get a signal through?

10. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It does not change the fidelity. I do hear signals masked by noise I could not hear. I have no idea of BHI performance.