Icom IC-9700 Pricing and Availability

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, Oct 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there's plenty of activity during VHF contests. And yet I don't recall ever hearing your call sign on the air, or that we ever QSOed (I sure miss a few!).

And every evening, there's a roundtable on one hand or another. Yeah most of them are just check-in with call sign, but some are rather chatty. Depending on the distance, can be weak signal work...

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought the radio might come out with a price at least somewhat lower, but I think it's a fair one, nevertheless (and will no doubt come down over the next year or two). Me? This will be the summer of my 9700, I guess. :)

KC2FQ likes this.
  3. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

Gulp. Umm ok. They expect the 9700 to fly off the shelves at that price? I bet we'll see a price cut within 6 months.

KC2FQ likes this.
  4. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I too was expecting/hoping it would have been lower. I was getting comfortable with the yen and UK conversions that were making it look like $1800 was going to be the price. I guess I'll wait awhile . . . just like most Icom things, it will come down. I really wish they would have stuck with the module concept and left 1.2 out of the stock radio, making it an installable option but hey, they know best, right? ;)

5. K2II

K2II Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose the Icom marketing brain trust knows better than I do but, had they released it at around $1200 I was ready to buy one. That 23 cm module may be what pushed the cost up a bit. Oh well, maybe a used one in a few years. My TS-711A is still going strong.

7. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have my 6-meter station (6M7JHV at 42 feet), but I haven't been active at all in the last few years. I suppose that makes me part of the problem and not part of the solution. I do listen to 6-meters during the contests, but activity seems weak to me. Maybe it's because I'm comparing activity levels to when I was way more active in the 80's and 90's. In addition, there's the exodus to FT8, which I'm not interested in.

I've also changed my ham radio focus to SDR development. I've done a lot of experimenting with wide-band OFDM on the 13 cm and 9 cm bands, but only at very low power levels.

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-9700's high price makes sense since Icom won't sell as many of them as they do with their HF rigs, so it's just a matter of economics: smaller run translates to a higher cost per unit.

9. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I dislike that line of thinking. To be completely honest i just don’t understand how the japanese can dominate the ham radio market. They do good at technology but utterly fail at innovation.

They treat the ham radio market the same as they do the comercial and communications market by designing utilitarian monolithic boxes. The more junk you cram in one machine the better.

The problem is it makes no sense to dumb things down for ham radio. None of us driving a 50 ton firetruck through traffic while maintaining communication with a dispatcher. We dont need monolithic do-all machines. And, we like buying addons/upgrades.

The smarter design would be a componentized system. Chose your reciever. Chose you transmitter. Chose you control-plane device. Chose your dsp. Chose your preselector. Chose your power amplifier. Chose your antenna tuner (which shoukdnt be built into any radio it should be mounted at the feed point if the antenna and everyone knows this)

The elecraft ecosystem of components actually makes more sense. But the pricepoint is off- i paid $500 for thier 2m transverter and had to assemble it myself. Meanwhile i can buy a giant teevee for less. I get that there is economy in numbers but come on- surely there is a better way.

If i were a radio engineer i would design a 2m ssb/cw rig (bottom portion of the band only because repeaters own the rest of it) that was compact and capable of 5w output. It would have a preamp thats easy disable and bias t build in. Id outsource the project to get price down to the point where techs would have no problem investing.

Then i woukd have an anual competition for antenna design- best gain per square inch or somesuch- free radios for the winner. Get people active and engaged in vhf and drive that culture like it was a corvette with a mounted minigun (lol who wouldnt want one?)

Ham radio is shooting itself in the foot and manufacturers are simply not helping.

My .02

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the Japanese are innovative in their own way. They have their fingers on the pulse of the ham market at least. Take the IC 7300. Icom saw that while hams might embrace an SDR type radio, most didn't want to go as far as the Flex rigs. They wanted something that could be used without a computer, but offered many of the advantages of the then far more expensive SDRs. Thus the very reasonably priced 7300 became one of the hottest radios in a long time. And Flex is playing catch up with their M radios. :)