Icom IC-9700 Pricing and Availability

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, Oct 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI4WCA

KI4WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my 7410. So I bought a 9100 for back-up and multimode 2m and 440.
    It seemed to be a bargain!

N3AWS likes this.
  2. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say you made a great choice!

73, Jim N3AWS

3. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I listen to Ham Nation audio on my train ride on Thursday mornings, and yesterday's episode had Gordon West saying that he'd have an IC-9700 on the air on January 20, with a review coming shortly afterward. I know these guys have a relationship with Icom and I'm sure they can get test models, subject to NDAs, but suggesting an upcoming review is a good indication that it will be available sooner than later.

4. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still waiting for any sort of activity on 2 meters in my area .... let alone 440 or any other VHF UHF band...Constantly turning the dial on the Kenwood TM2550A and just on regular FM it's always almost totally dead. Once or twice a week there is a net on various repeaters but other than that it's like watching grass grow. Either that or my sense of timing sucks when it comes to receiving any VHF signals.Not much use for a $1500.00 radio if there won't be anything coming through the receive section.

5. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not in the area very often anymore but I recall simplex being pretty active in northeast Maryland - try 146.595 with your TM-2550 that used to get a lot of use in Harfrod county, you should be able to reach them even with a modest antenna. That being said, if you are thinking repeaters and FM, that isn't what this radio is for. Sure, it can be used there, but it is the other modes that you are really paying for. If you aren't interested in the weak signal stuff, it probably isn't for you.

6. KC3SWL

yep, there are a group of guys on simplex 146.520 down in lower Cecil and upper Kent counties. I can hit the Kent country repeater. Since I don't have SSB on the TM2550 I can't comment on any other VHF signals outside of FM. I'm not about to pay $1500.00 for a rig to just hit repeaters. I thought about trying out a transverter board on the TS430 or TS870 but my only problem after that is I am only able to use one antenna up in a tree which is a 5\8 wave ground plane. No beams are able to be erected.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah that is the problem everyone faces- finding activity. And, that is one of the reasons why a panadapter makes a lot of sense on VHF+. Being able to observe a chunk of the band while receiving/demodulating a single freq is a game changer. It directly relates to more contacts.

We shouldn't need this equipment though. 384,598 technicians in the US (which outnumber general and extra combined) have all-mode privledges to 6m and higher. There should be more activity on those bands than on HF- but the culture of ham radio somehow, someway, doesn't allow this.

Techs can "chase the dream" of HF, or they can stop listening to the old guys and just enjoy the bands they have. And, I'm not saying the old guys are wrong. I'm simply saying the path of least resistance is to delve into vhf+ because you already own it. Learning to operate ssb on 2m will pay dividends when you upgrade to general and/or extra. At least you wont say "hey guys, i think you're off frequency. My dial says you are on x.xxx.123"

I appreciate what Icom is doing with the 9700, but I wish they had dialed-it back some for the purpose of making all-mode vhf in-reach of budget-restricted new hams.

9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with this 100%. There's no doubt that I had way more fun on weak signal VHF/UHF with my Technician license than I ever had on HF with my Extra license. However, that was back in the 80's and 90's. Weak signal VHF/UHF activity seems pretty low now, at least in the SF Bay area.

10. KC3SWL

I was pricing transverters for 2 meters to use with an HF rig and for the price you could almost buy a used standalone VHF base all mode radio for the price some of those transverters go for. It's ridiculous. Or you can get this box from a Ukrainian that does 144-148 with an input of 28 to 32 mhz. I don't know about anyone else but my rigs only go to 30 MHz . So I'm missing half the band segment. Which after looking is the repeaters and such above 146.00 But the bright side is those boxes are only 85.00 plus the 20.00 shipping. How they work is a entirely different question.