Icom IC-9700 Pricing and Availability

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, Oct 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Most Excellent!

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So after the initial release, it will probably settle somewhere in the $1400 range. That's not terrible. It's a little high for a radio in the VHF+ range, but still very obtainable.

It's an interesting gamble they are taking. I'm curious to see if people are willing to take that bet with them.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a nice radio.

Time will tell how long the PA will last.

5. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Martin Lynch quoting a similar price in UK. It seems to include 23cm as standard !!

https://bit.ly/2CRndzy

Historically the price of ham gear in UK £ comes out at same in US $

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

In its defense, it's not just another "VHF/UHF" radio. It IS multi-mode, not just FM, and has similar "bells and whistles" found in current HF radios. IF it includes 23 cm "OTB," (out of the box,) it is worth the price if performance is as good as expected.

7. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Worth noting that the UK price includes VAT, a significant tax of twenty or so percent. So in all actuality the USD price could be much less.

KN4RA likes this.
  8. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

Retail stores will be charging tax on internet sales very soon. This was told to me directly from a manager at HRO yesterday. We all knew it was coming..

I really like the new IC-9700 and plan on a purchase.

KA0HCP and W7DSG like this.
  9. KG8LB

KG8LB Ham Member QRZ Page

Being an Icom, no telling how long the display will work! Or how long Icom will support replacement parts.

M3GCA likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Serious people will buy them, IF they have very good performance. That's about what a Kenwood TS-790 cost about 15 years ago. I assume the 9700 has advanced technologically since then.