Icom IC-9700 is now delivering at $2099 price point

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K2II, Feb 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Given the more specialized nature of this radio, I wouldn't expect that. Oh, the price will drop, but I'd guess that in three years you might see 1800 bucks.

WD4IGX and AG5DB like this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. I am shocked at the number of people expressing shock at the price. It's in line with what I expected and less than I feared.

I'm not saying it's not a significant amount of money, nor any issue of course with someone saying they just can't afford it, nor any issue with anyone (I would be one of these) saying "it's not worth it to me." (It might be one day but not at my present location. When I move somewhere I can put up decent weak signal 2m/440 antennas I'll re-evaluate that.)

Know why hams never have to buy wire for projects? They just get two of them together and fight over a penny.

W3ATV and AG5DB like this.
  3. WD4IGX

To be announced next year, delivered, maybe, by 2024. :D

4. W4NNF

Yep. Exactly. I thought it might be a little less, but I wasn't shocked either, considering the facts that this radio is at least somewhat more expensive to make than the 7300 and will inevitably sell fewer "copies."

I certainly understand that for some people ANY expenditure is difficult. And for some people investing in a VHF-UHF rig like this, even considering its reasonable cost (this is 350 in 1970 dollars, and in 1970, 350 really wouldn't have got you much of a radio. ;) ) doesn't make sense.

I'm getting one, but for me it makes sense as far as adding to my current capabilities, etc. Oh, and it will look sweet next to the 7300! :D

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. WD4IGX

Indeed, all that.

I started in ham radio in 1977 at the age of 14. By scraping together pennies I managed to afford an Argonaut 509. I only grew to appreciate and enjoy QRP years later after I'd been able to move up to 100W class rigs. For a new novice limited to CW it wasn't bad (surprsingly easy to make contacts, even decent DX, with 2.5W output and a folded dipole on CW and with band conditions of the time) but when I moved up to General and Advanced it was a constant frustration on SSB. Fortunately I never stopped enjoying CW.

At any rate, IIRC, an FT-101E or TS-520, the two most popular HF rigs (at least until the considerably more expensive TS-820 came out with the big innovation of IF shift) at that time was around $600. Plugging today's $2099 price for the 9700 into the CPI inflation calculator gives a 1977 value of $495. You couldn't buy a 5 band hybrid HF rig for that, with the exception of the not-bad-but-rather-weird Tempo One, and even that would be nearly that much money by the time you also bought the power supply.

Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI inflation calculator:

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

KA4DPO, N0NB and W4NNF like this.
  6. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gigaparts is not yet delivering...they are taking orders. The ad specifically states that the ETA for the IC-9700 is 2Q 2019 and that the purchaser is reserving theirs. This matches up with what HRO is advertising.

Regards,
    -Bruce

7. W4NNF

From what I hear, all the Icom America folks are promising is "before Dayton." So could be March...could be April...could be early May.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Have the Sherwood numbers been released yet?

K2XT likes this.
  9. W4NNF

I would guess it's way too soon yet.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider the Kenwo1od TS-790, WITH the 23 cm optional model was around $2000 in the late 1980's or so, before it was discontinued. How does that compute into today's numbers? The IC-9700 has similar capabilities PLUS. IMHO, the 9700 is a bargain at around $2000, if it is a good performer..