ad: vanity

Icom IC-91AD vs. IC-92AD

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K5OP, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

The new Icom IC-92AD cost Your Price: $579.95

The current model IC-91AD cost Your Price $399.95

I want to know where the justification is for an extra 180 dollars? So far the only thing I can find is the 92 has the ability to use an optional hand-mic with a GPS receiver built in, and it can be dropped in water.

Is there anything else the 92 can do that the 91 can't? I only need a dualband with dual-receive that does DSTARS. I just can't seem to find enough information to compare the two... Who owns these radios, what is your opinion?

2. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two 91AD's. I have not seen anything that makes me want to get a 92AD.

Mark N5RFX

3. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the 91AD have cross-band repeat feature in it? We have a DSTAR repeater here which is networked. Ports ABC are all available. But I am still hesitating on buying a unit. Not many people around here have dstar.

4. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

No Cross Band Repeat

The 91AD does not have cross band repeat. It is a well built radio.

Mark N5RFX

5. KG6PX

KG6PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Cross band repeat - Dstar

If you are talking about Dstar mode crossband repeat then any Dstar radio will do that including the 91AD if your Dstar repeater has the desired modes installed. That would be a function of Dstar and how you set your radio up. I have a 91AD and my friend has a 92AD and we both love them. We use the crossband/mode function all the time. If you don't need GPS in your mic, or a medium power setting, or a more waterproof robust ht then you could save lots of $$$ and go with the 91AD. It is a very versatile ht, especially for Dstar, but I would recommend getting the programming software for which ever one you choose. Hope this helps...73

6. K6WAC

K6WAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Can a 91ad crossband?

The 91ad can not crossband in the classic sense, BUT you can access other bands through many local dstar repeaters via the port concept and the gateways available. An operator can go into the system on a B port(440) and can come out on A(1.2 gig) B(440) and C(2meter) ports simultaneously; effectively turning the repeater into a crossband system. Additionally, any gateway equipped dstar repeater can be accessed from any other similarly equipped repeater; regardless of where it may be located. If the repeater has a gateway it can be worked. Not only can you use a local dstar repeater to crossband locally, you can also use repeaters on the other side of the world to crossband; via the gateway. Of course, the analog mode is still available for those areas that have not developed dstar systems. I hope that this has helped some. 73 and good luck

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  7. AF6IM

AF6IM Ham Member QRZ Page

91AD is the better value

The extra money for the 92AD could be put to better use. The 91 AD will do just about everything you need except survive submersion. You could buy another basic HT with the savings. Even if DSTAR coverage is sparse in your area the 91AD is a great analog FM HT. DSTAR coverage will expand eventually.

8. WA3J

WA3J Ham Member QRZ Page

91 vs 92

Basically the 92 addresses all the quirks the 91 had, if you breathe on the vol knob the 91 will adjust, the 92 has a detented vol sw. the buttons are just a hair bigger and more in line on the front making them a bit easier to use but the biggest thing is, check out the specs on both, the 92 is a bit better but in testing the 92 is much easier on a battery which is very important for a hand held (also showing in the published specs).

9. KC8RFE

KC8RFE Ham Member QRZ Page

my complaints for both the 91 and 92 are that neither of them show the battery voltage. I guess i'm spoiled by yaesu but come on icom the battery shows half full on the 91 and 92 and then die 30 seconds later. I know they can give a better indications of battery capacity than that.

10. M0JMO

M0JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've just purchased an IC-91AD from the USA (I had it delivered to my friend's house so that I can use it when I come over in September)...

I paid $415 USD for it.

Over here, the IC-E91 (Euro version of the IC-91A) with the D-Star Module is £348.95 (or $645.840 USD).

The IC-E92D (Euro version of the IC-92AD) is cheaper than the IC-E91, at £329.95 (or $611.034 USD).

Everyone says to buy the IC-E92D over here, as it is newer and cheaper, but at almost $200 USD more, I think I made the right choice buying the 91AD from the US!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.