ICOM IC-7610 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 15, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB9QVR

WB9QVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the informative video, Pascal. One question to you or others with experience with the '7610 - do you know if CW break-in is accomplished with a relay or is it a quiet, more solid-state operation? So many of the newer rigs (including the IC-7300) use a relay and it's quite annoying to use full break-in operation with them. Thanks!

2. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hell OM. I have 4 questions related to CW use

1. Can the receive to transmit time be set to delay the TX transmit time by 10-15-20-25 ms (same as 7300)?
    2. Can the transmitter to receiver time be set to delay the unkey of the relay until the transmitter shuts off.

Both are EXTREMELY important to avoid Hot Keying of amplifier.

3. Is the switching for TX/RX by PIN diode or relay ? or other method ?
    4. ALC overshoot - when power is set to, say 50 watts, does ever the transmitter SPIKE the transmit power momentarily to 100W or higher - Icom often displays this issue.

The IC-7300 is an awesome radio but has a TERRIBLE issue with RF remaining on the rear RF connector even as the RELAY goes from TX back to RX. This causes amp hot keying
    The IC-7300 also exhibits ALC overshoot, although it varies from radio to radio and some firmware updates attempt to fix SOME of the problem but not all.
    The IC-7300 uses noisy relay for QSK (almost worthless above 35 WPM, relay moves too slowly).

The 7610 is big brother of 7300 - I hope they fixed the of the very few annoying issues. Really want some hands on time before I buy one.

3. K4HPP

K4HPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian . . .
    I am a very satisfied 7610 owner for over 18 months now. Zero issues. The 7610 has solid state break-in. Totally silent. I also have the IC-7300 which has what is possibly the loudest relay of any rig on the market today. I did the "putty silencing" trick which helps a lot, but it is still annoying. I do not use the 7300 on QSK for that reason.

4. KX4QC

KX4QC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review, thank you. Recently returned to ham, and this is the best rig I have ever had. There's so much in the one box. The RXs are outstanding. The two recorders, one for the whole QSO and the other to quickly replay a missed call. (A pity one can't replay the recording over the air to show received audio quality -or at least I haven't found how.) Interfaces well with just one USB cable... the list of fine features just goes on and on. IMHO, the least good part are the manuals, but there is a wealth of info from good people like Pascal.

5. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 7610. My 28 lb Siamese cat used it as a litter box.

Wish I were kidding.

But yes, Sebastian is still with us and the vet says he's fine. Although Sebo is absolutely BANNED from the shack now.

73 & STILL smh

6. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Had 2. Now have none. Replaced with a FTDX-5000MPL.
    Dave N8DC

7. VA2PV

VA2PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John, I pass my code in 1991 (5 wpm) and 1992 (12 wpm), in my first years I often operate in CW but not a lot in the past 10 years. I should get back to it as I'm still able to decode, I hope that an experience CW operator using this rig will be able to answer your question. 73 Pascal VA2PV

8. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve had a 7610 for over a year and my use is 90% CW. I switched from a Kenwood 590SG and find the Icom’s receiver is notably better. The noise blanker and noise reduction work very well and dual receivers are nice to have.

Mike

9. VA2LM

VA2LM Ham Member QRZ Page

Merci Pascal,Excellente video. J'ai un 7610 depuis bientôt 18 mois et je suis tres sastisfait de ces performances.73 Michel VA2LM

10. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess there's no accounting for taste. Perhaps he's a Yaesu or Kenwood cat.