ad: elecraft

ICOM IC-7610 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 15, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a complete overview of the ICOM IC-7610, a high-end HF radio using SDR technology. If you can, try watching this video on a large 4k TV and let me know what you think!

Stay tune for the "on the air" review.

73 Pascal VA2PV

IC-7610_thumb.jpg

KN4GDX, KG7WNB, F5HSH and 15 others like this.
  2. AC5WT

AC5WT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice presentation. Fast pace no nonsense. Information, Information, Information......used rerun a lot. Great video.

VA2PV likes this.
  3. K6CTW

K6CTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Formidable! Merci Beaucoup!

VA2PV likes this.
  4. M0DPX

M0DPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Another fantastic very informative video PASCAL. thank you.

VA2PV likes this.
  5. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this is a nice radio.

VA2PV likes this.
  6. N8LRG

N8LRG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had this radio since last fall. Hands down the best radio I have used and the best RX. I use it it for all modes but have been mostly on RTTY and FT8. Did DXCC on FT8 with this radio in about 2 1/2 months. It is a pleasure to use. Contesting is really fun on this rig. I had a custom rackmount made from Novexcomm with the LED light bar and using it in my console. The light bar is really nice for my old eyes. The RC28 remote VFO is really a nice thing to have to adjust the 2nd VFO. Would like a 2nd one for SO2R someday....

73 Phil

Attached Files:

VA2PV likes this.
  7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video. I've had my 7610 for I would guess about six months now, and I learned new stuff from your video!

Thanks!

As for the radio, I have several nice radios (Flex 6400, KX3, etc), but the 7610 is hands down my favorite of the bunch.

Dave

K0UO and VA2PV like this.
  8. KN9K

KN9K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone use CW anymore?
    98% of my time is CW DXing.
    Can anyone give me a report on how this 7610 performs using the lost art of CW?
    Thanks.

N5KD, US7IGN, W4FBI and 1 other person like this.
  9. CT1GFQ

CT1GFQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my 7610 80% CW and 20%Digital mods.

Great rĂ¡dio. Nice RX,
    In CW very easy to work. 8 memos in nice to fast qso's (599) and for calling's.

When I have money I'll buy another.

VA2PV likes this.
  10. N6RHH

N6RHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice overview Pascal. I've had my 7610 w/SM-50 for 4 months. Great radio!

VA2PV likes this.
  11. WB9QVR

WB9QVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the informative video, Pascal. One question to you or others with experience with the '7610 - do you know if CW break-in is accomplished with a relay or is it a quiet, more solid-state operation? So many of the newer rigs (including the IC-7300) use a relay and it's quite annoying to use full break-in operation with them. Thanks!

12. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hell OM. I have 4 questions related to CW use

1. Can the receive to transmit time be set to delay the TX transmit time by 10-15-20-25 ms (same as 7300)?
    2. Can the transmitter to receiver time be set to delay the unkey of the relay until the transmitter shuts off.

Both are EXTREMELY important to avoid Hot Keying of amplifier.

3. Is the switching for TX/RX by PIN diode or relay ? or other method ?
    4. ALC overshoot - when power is set to, say 50 watts, does ever the transmitter SPIKE the transmit power momentarily to 100W or higher - Icom often displays this issue.

The IC-7300 is an awesome radio but has a TERRIBLE issue with RF remaining on the rear RF connector even as the RELAY goes from TX back to RX. This causes amp hot keying
    The IC-7300 also exhibits ALC overshoot, although it varies from radio to radio and some firmware updates attempt to fix SOME of the problem but not all.
    The IC-7300 uses noisy relay for QSK (almost worthless above 35 WPM, relay moves too slowly).

The 7610 is big brother of 7300 - I hope they fixed the of the very few annoying issues. Really want some hands on time before I buy one.

13. K4HPP

K4HPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Brian . . .
    I am a very satisfied 7610 owner for over 18 months now. Zero issues. The 7610 has solid state break-in. Totally silent. I also have the IC-7300 which has what is possibly the loudest relay of any rig on the market today. I did the "putty silencing" trick which helps a lot, but it is still annoying. I do not use the 7300 on QSK for that reason.

14. KX4QC

KX4QC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice review, thank you. Recently returned to ham, and this is the best rig I have ever had. There's so much in the one box. The RXs are outstanding. The two recorders, one for the whole QSO and the other to quickly replay a missed call. (A pity one can't replay the recording over the air to show received audio quality -or at least I haven't found how.) Interfaces well with just one USB cable... the list of fine features just goes on and on. IMHO, the least good part are the manuals, but there is a wealth of info from good people like Pascal.

15. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a 7610. My 28 lb Siamese cat used it as a litter box.

Wish I were kidding.

But yes, Sebastian is still with us and the vet says he's fine. Although Sebo is absolutely BANNED from the shack now.

73 & STILL smh