ad: HamHats-1

Icom IC-7610 - Preview from the Dayton Hamvention 2017

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now is the time of year to put up your 6M antenna and try it on SSB. With the 7300, band scan, it makes it easy to spot stations "popping up" instead of tuning back and forth, back and forth..... and better move down to where they are, as F2 fluctuates and they are maybe there one minute and gone the next, and someone pops up elsewhere. I just have an M2 version of squalo and I do get to work stations when there is a good opening. The less profound openings, I would need a beam and maybe more height. And 6 is quiet when my line noise on HF makes it intolerable.

WF9Q likes this.
  2. F3WT

F3WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes!
    Mines too!
    But , besides, Binaural has been (IMHO) largely underestimated, mainly due to DSP just mimicking it out of ONE channel by Hilbert transforming into audio-channels I/Q and feeding one ear with I and the other with Q. Nuts! Lots of (in the sense of Shannon ) information lost.
    Just figure with one now abt 10 year old but otherwise super CW- rig with does just this, when using only its MAIN RCVR, not involving the SUB, which BTW wouldn't have helped much either as the latter is not phase-locked with the former , although - as I experience it- it does nicely without synchronisation and small frequency offsets of a couple of Hertz one doesn't notice !
    However, almost at the same time a Brand came out with a design ( even analog in IF) featuring 2 absolut identical synchronous RCVRS , allowing for usage of TWO channels with one antenna each , all the way down to one signal I in one ear, the other(Q) in the other.
    No matter which age, this fabulous provision should - in fact has and most surely will in future- never lead one back to mono, especially in CW - as I experienced it now for 10 years !
    ICOM ( not the only one, as said!) looks to have got it right here in that respect.
    Pierre, F3WT

3. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7610 cannot do diversity reception. It only has a single ADC.

4. DD4DA

DD4DA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's helpful in pileups and contests to checkout the operating traffic. I often use this feature if one fx qrg needs to be monitored and at the same time you are able to tune over a different qrg range or band. I don't wanna miss them since i got this in the ICOM IC756Pro3 and later in the Kenwood TS990s, where the main rig is since 3 Years.
    I like the IC7300 technic but i don't like the touch-screen based operating of them. It's nice of technic for a mobile radio purpose and got an internal antenna tuner , where often missed or external attached in this kinda radio.
    Well, i had not seen this the IC7610 in real - just flyers and pictures. I will wait for the experiences of the owners and maybe i sell the IC-756-Pro3 to geht space for this.

vy 73 de Gerhard, DD4DA

5. W2ZR

W2ZR Ham Member QRZ Page

The word is "spend", not "waste".

KJ7MX likes this.
  6. W2ZR

W2ZR Ham Member QRZ Page

As I recall the receiver specs were better than the 7300.

7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope the Icom 7610 and Flex's new amplifier are fast tracked to the ARRL lab for evaluation, my thoughts are it would make a good station and more than likely my new station if the ARRL lab can validate the performance.

8. AE9AM

AE9AM Ham Member QRZ Page

The block diagrams I saw show two A/D converters. There's just one big shared FPGA for both receive paths, but all the important receive path stuff is likely duplicated and the integration means it could do a really good job of diversity reception. Past the A/D point all the hardware is really software, so lots of room for future enhancement as well.

9. BD3PXM

BD3PXM Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W0RUS

W0RUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh, nice looking rig. But let's face it, most of us only use the on off, volume, and spin the dial to find activity.

Plus lately, Ive been hearing a lot of cussing and fighting going on over the air. Can't see spending $3,500 dollars to hear that.

Ever since they made it so you only have to memorize a test to get a license, it sounding like the 11 meter bands more and more.

But again, very nice looking rig.

11. KC0BRA

KC0BRA Ham Member QRZ Page

If your a Crazy DXer like me you can monitor one band and talk an another so if you see DX pop up on 40m while your talking on 20m you can go right to it and back and forth with the waterfall it is all what you like to do when your working them 73's

12. W5AMG

W5AMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad it's only a 100W PA (again), I had a 7600, the 7610 isn't much different really. A 200W PA in this would be awesome
    and then be a competitor to the TS-990, FTdx5000.......

13. K2AYE

K2AYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I OWN A 7300 AND I THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING ANOTHER ONE .THEY ARE THAT GOOD. IF YOU HAVE THE CASH I WOULD BUY THE IC 7610 ITS ALWAY NICE TO HAVE MULTIPLE BACK UP

14. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

im 95% sure im going to buy a 7610 ... however, i often ponder whether i actually NEED the features like the second receiver for 'monitoring'. Maybe it's b/c Im accustomed to not having true second receiver but my practice is to watch the DX spotting networks and switch when one I need pops up. HRD lets me just click on the spot and it switches my band, freq, and mode for me (im lazy). Im not seeing myself using the 2nd receiver much, tbh. . . geesh, i'm almost convincing myself to not buy the 7610... :)

15. JA1LDG

JA1LDG Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that you are Kenwood buff, are not you? Acurally, I use TS990. JA1LDG