Icom IC-7610 is almost here

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Jul 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

If it was that long ago, $5 a day would have been excessive. My Dad took leftovers for lunch most days, and my school lunch was $5 a week.

Being a good spouse and parent is about stewardship to the family. When my son was born, I sold off most of my gear to pay the hospital bills from his two days in the NICU, rather than go into debt to pay them off. I would love to get a “nicer” radio, but with a 5-BTV in the yard, anything better than my FT-991 would be a waste.

KD8UEI and KA4DPO like this.
  2. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see all of the great information coming out of Australia about the IC-7610. I retire in less than two years and it might be my retirement rig.

WD4DXQ likes this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a slush fund for stuff that I want, or might want. Every month I put money in the slush fund, not always the same amount but always something. Since I like to mess with old cars and car parts can be expensive it might take me a year to save up for a set of heads, a cam, manifold, and headers for an engine build, but I do it without impacting our operating budget. Several years ago I acquired a 1984 SVO and was in the process of restoring it, I had a nice chunk of change in the slush fund and was really looking forward to doing it.

Right around that time daughter and her husband told us they found a house they wanted to buy. It was their first house and they needed some cash to move in, I decided that my grandson needed a house to grow up in so the SVO dream went out the window. I coughed up the cash for them and sold the car to a friend who did restore it. Sometimes family maters take precedent over stuff, same goes for ham radio. Right now I'm stuffing the slush fund for an IC-7610 and some accessories, hope the kids don't decide to buy another house.:D

WZ7U, K9ASE, AD0AC and 1 other person like this.
  4. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Life happens. Hope the IC-7610 meets your expectations!

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

Thanks, me too.:)

6. K9KTR

K9KTR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol, probably for the best.

7. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the big deal?

upload_2017-11-13_11-36-7.png

8. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see the big deal in this rig. It looks pretty, has a SDR front-end but only 12kHz IF out and even the future I/Q out capability is limited in this fashion. With a SDR I want the ability to run CW skimmer on a large portion of the band so I can work a pileup quickly or see if anyone is calling CQ without tuning across the entire band. You'd think with 2 ADCs they would do more than 2 receivers. Doesn't even have two VFO knobs, like a K3S or even FT1000 does.

I hope they at least price it low enough. At $3500 I don't think it will be in the same league as the 7300. The 7300 is appealing because it's a good radio for that price.

9. KA4DPO

Well then you should go get a rig that lets you do that. Not being a contester, CW skimmer is waste of my time since I can tune across the band and hear pileups just like I always have.

I also believe the band scope can display more than 12KHZ , My IC-7600 can display up to 500 KHZ which is larger than the CW portion of most amateur bands. I am willing to bet the IC-7610 can display more if you were so inclined, I wouldn't be.

Two receivers is enough, I can only listen to one at a time anyway. For my needs two receivers can provide me with real time diversity reception, not switched and no latency. I think they thought the design out pretty well.

So judging from the overwhelming success of the IC-7300 I would say the majority of the amateur community disagrees with you. I also don't think the IC-7610 will be in the same league as the IC-7300, I am pretty certain that it will be a cut above. The idea that you can compare the Icom offerings to other SDR on the market is not reasonable since they are designed very differently and to appeal to the majority of amateurs. It will do well.

NL7W and N3AWS like this.
  10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Second VFO is available. Also, there is no mention of an I/Q bandwidth limitation. They do say that the feature will be available after firmware update. Considering the fact that there are two wide-bandwidth ports on the back (ethernet and usb-3), I'd be inclined to say that there wont be a lot to worry about.

The 12khz IF is for DRM decoding.

I wouldn't poo-poo it just yet.

NL7W and N3AWS like this.