ICOM IC-7300 "S" QRP ?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by VE2TH, Apr 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE2TH

VE2TH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all,

The new Icom IC-7300, the 100 watts model is now available.

On the following link: http://radioaficion.com/cms/ic-7300-icom/

We can read this:

IC-7300 M-50Watts

IC-7300 S-10Watts

I Wonder if the "S" model could be available in a near future in North America ?
    it seems it would be
    very popular amongs the QRP community.

The only answer I have got from Icom Canada was that those models are sold only
    in Japan where they have differents amateur radio class with such some power limitations.

But, my question is: Is there a way to buy one from Icom Canada or better Icom America ?

Why not ? I'm trying to know the real reason why it is not available here.

Anyone else have any idea about his ?

Thanks

72/73 Michel VE2TH the QRP'er

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the foundation license holders in the UK are also limited to 10 watts on HF.

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's likely ICOM passed on introducing those models in other areas because of the additional added certification process.
    It also may not be in their business plan. There is competition in the under 10 watt category from places like China.
    The actual cost of the other models wouldn't necessarily be that much less, making it an uneconomical choice.

Have fun
    Gary

4. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to know if these models are really different in hardware or the power limits are in the software so one could get the higher power by software update as soon as you get a higher license class.

5. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as a rig can be set to reliably output low power then any QRO rig becomes a QRP rig.

I recently brought a used TenTec Eagle in the shack and have the RF power generally set to 5w. According to my supposedly accurate Elecraft W1 power meter the actual output varies from 4w-6w depending on the band and the antenna selected. Voila, the QRO radio is now a QRP.

When I dial the Eagle RF power down to 1 watt it outputs closer to a 0.5w on 40m and 1w-2w on other bands. So its RF power output is not as accurate as my KX3 and I can't reliably dial it down below 1 watt like the KX3 but it still makes a fine QRP radio for the shack.

I find it more pleasant to work CW in the shack with the Eagle rather than the KX3, so the KX3 now lives in my backpack and is primarily my portable QRP radio, at which it excels.

Richard, AA4OO
    http://hamradioqrp.com

6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

All my rigs are QRP, the K2/100, the Omni VI+, the recently sold 706MKIIG. Just crank 'em down to 5 watts on the wattmeter. Even if you are a smidgeon off, you won't notice it in your signal report, or snywhere else.

7. K8INA

K8INA Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago, I bought a Kenwood 120V (?) from AES. It ran low power, I think about 20 watts. I got it at a good deal due to the fact that it was the only one they had received and it had sat on their shelf for a year and a half. A few years later I was talking with one of their sales people and he was surprised that I had bought it. Only one they had ever received, only one they had ever sold, NO ONE ever asked about them. It was made for the Japanese market but was brought over. I was told that it was a test as it was difficult to meet a price line and still be a QRP rig. Perhaps that is what is up with the IC-7300 rigs. But, as was mentioned, simply turn down the power.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Things may have changed but I recall there was a large license class in Japan that was limited to 10 watts. Viable market. And those rigs indeed had a different PA output stage that could not be turned up. Turning down is easy :)
    The FT-901 QRP version (DM?) was a sweetheart in my strong QRP days. I think Kenwood offered 10 watts in the 120 and 130 and a bunch more that I cannot recall or name.

9. M0TGK

M0TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

>I believe the foundation license holders in the UK are also limited to 10 watts on HF.

Your right, but it's up to the operator to ensure they meet the conditions of their license. A foundation license can buy a 100 watt unit and turn the power down to 10 watts . IMHO a foundation holder would be a bit crazy to buy this over the 100 watt unit!

10. G1MHU

G1MHU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In Japan, if they have the equivalent to the UK FL, then they cannot legally own or purchase a transceiver of more than 10 watts. and it is illegal for the store to sell the radio to them. When I bought a rig in Tokyo, I was asked to produce my licence before they would sell it to me, and that was just for a 2m 5w handie..