ICOM IC-7300 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VA2PV, Oct 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had my TS-2000 since 2014 and have loved every minute of it. Had some minor glitches but have been solved. No radio is perfect these days. The TS-2000 fits my needs and what I wanted in a full mode radio. Some people hate these radios but not me. Everyone has their opinions on them also. Just like the IC-7300, everyone has their own opinion on them and some will complain about them when others love every feature. I have a Yaesu FTdx-1200 and love that radio and I'm planning on getting the IC-7300 later on. No Amateur radio manufacture will please all the people. someone will have their so called expert opinion on them....Good job Pascal on the review.

K0UO likes this.
  2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i own a 7300 and have more to learn by using. i started the video last week and gave up. too fast to really get anything useful, AND like most utube videos the lighting is terrible and could easily be made good.
    today i scanned all comments and watched the entire video.
    same results.high speed button pushing too fast to get anything useful, sorry.

3. NX1P

NX1P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rather than review what the IC7300 has, I'm going to review what the IC7300 does not have and any good xciever should have:
    1. No solid state TR switch. That's right, a clicky relay and poor cw break in operation.
    2. No IF output, never mind IQ output. There is a menu item called USB AUDIO IF. It is NOT IF. CW skimmer only gives you what your filters are set up at. Max 3kHz.
    3. No morse code decode. When you are in the thick of thins and miss a letter or two having a few characters on the screen can be the difference. Then there are the 'entry level' guys learning. Certainly and entry level rig should have morse code decode.
    4. No handle. Yup, you have to shell out another 35 bucks for some plastic and a couple of screws. Really?
    5. Icom continues to do stupid stuff with the tunER button. Instead of having a tune button that operates at a lower power level with or without the internal autotuner the force you to use the autotuner even if you have an external (maybe remote) tuner!. To tune your autotuner (that's out in your back yard) you have to switch a) switch to RTTY, b) ensure your autotuner is off, c) go to the menu item to lower your output, d) hit transmit to tune your autotuner. Then, you have to reverse the process to get back to the mode you want to operate. TERRIBLE experience

There is lots to like about the IC7300 (size, shiny screen, SDR filters etc) but buyer should be aware of these deficiencies (features?).

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With an external auto tuner interfaced to it, the 7300 works with it just the way it works with the internal tuner.

Otherwise? "[W]hat the IC7300 does not have that I think any good xciever should have." There, fixed it for you. ;)

5. N1GKE

N1GKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So far I have found two things about the IC-7300 I would change. One is the relays are too loud when using QSK, full breakin mode. I grew up with QSK and don't know any better when operating CW but to use it. Having to use semi-breakin is not good for me. The other lacking quality is the unit does not have an APF. SOmething I got used to way back when an APF was just an external unit to your receiver or transceiver. I think the first radio I had with APF built in was the Yaesu FT-901 DM, way back when.
    The Yaesu FTDX-5000D has pin diode switching and APF and one heck of a receiver and I love it.

6. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a 991A also.. sold it after a month or two and bought the 7300. I'm totally satisfied with it.

7. WB4M

Do the "putty mod" on the relays. Works like a charm.

8. WB4M

I still see ads for Icom 706's asking up to $750 for them.

9. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Richard, I had the FTdx3000 awhile ago and personally I would go with the IC-7300. Better price and better performance, it also has the latest technology, SDR. 73 Pascal VA2PV

N2NOW likes this.
  10. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

I want to clarify something; I’m really open to critics as it can help improve my future videos. I don’t mind at all. I agree to a certain degree that my reviews are more a user tour or walk though than anything else. But still, I consider that it is still reviews, it’s true that I do not compare radios side by side (same as the QST), I think there’s no bad radio, but some are just a better choice for you (depending on your budget and type of operation). My videos are providing the full feature overview (I cover pretty much all the user manual), with this the viewers can compare with my other videos and then be able to decide which one will better suit his needs. What’s great about YouTube is that you can watch different type of approach from different YouTubers before you decide which one you prefer, so it’s a good thing that I do my reviews differently.

As for the strong signals rejection, I should have done a demonstration, since I’m not participating in contests and I always operate at 1000 kW, it’s just a rare situation for me. Every time I needed the notch, the NB, the NR or a narrower filters it worked as expected on all my currently own radios, sorry if I taken this for granted.

I’m thinking seriously of getting the proper equipment to include measurements in my reviews, maybe with a simple ranking system base on certain criteria, will see.

The suggestion about watching the review on a 4k 70-inch TV was for those wanting to see the details of the video, I know that most people are watching on their tablet of even your phone.

Thank you all for your feedback, don't be shy to critic, I can take it

73 Pascal VA2PV