ICOM IC-7300 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VA2PV, Oct 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

In many ways, yes. The TS-440S was a game changer when it came out in 1986. If I remember correctly, it was the first radio in its class to have an internal automatic ATU, direct keypad frequency entry, and 100 memory channels. Not such a big deal today, but back then these features were new to most amateurs. The TS-440SAT was my first 100w radio digital readout transceiver and I loved it! Sadly, the dots appeared on the radio within the first year. After the second trip to Kenwood service, I sold it and upgraded to a TS-930.

Today, the IC-7300 has set the bar for entry-level HF rigs in the same way Kenwood did 34 years ago. It wouldn’t be my choice as it is missing several indispensable (to me) features that I rely on, but then Icom isn’t targeting me with this rig—the 7700 would be more up my alley if I were inclined to trade my K3 for an Icom (not that I ever would). But if I were just starting out and didn’t want to go QRP, the 7300 is a lot of bang for the bucks. Even though I joke around by calling it the “Fischer-Price IC-7300,” I do give Icom a hat-tip for bringing it to market.

W4NNF and K0UO like this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO as one who has owned two and they are great rigs but I would only pay $900 max. The 2 kHz IMD is 75 db . The IC-7600 78 db. 2 kHz IMD is an important thing to me but not for all.

N1GKE likes this.
  3. KE4RPX

KE4RPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for making this review available. I just purchased this radio and your explanation is exactly what is so very helpful to me. Much appreciated.

VA2PV likes this.
  4. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for this review, Pascal! Many reviews are published so very quickly that it’s a good thing to keep them coming out. There’s been at least new firmware update over the rig’s lifespan, no? I recall how such a firmware update for the Kenwood TS-590s made a significant change in reviews for that very popular HF rig. So glad tosee the videos of your shack and it’s evolution. 73, Frank

VA2PV likes this.
  5. VA2PV

VA2PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Stephen, there's another thing to consider. This is my hobby and I don't want another job, I already have a good demanding one. ;-) So I review the products I want and I film my ham radio projects that I would normally do anyway. Yes, I can get a loan radio for a review, that's not a problem, but the review would not be the same if I'm not excited about the product. That's the reason why I'm always so positive about the things I review, it's because I choose wisely according to what I really want. I got the IC-7300 to use it as my carry around rig for reviews and it also looks so good beside the IC-9700, hihi. For me learning a radio has to be a fun process, not work. 73 Pascal VA2PV

K4XJ likes this.
  6. VA2PV

The TS-2000 was probably the best-seller of all time and a great radio, it was on the market for almost 20 years, they sold so much of these. In the past 10 years I saw many TS-2000 for sale at every hamfest. In the same trend, the popularity of the IC-7300 make the rig statistically very common. Also, I know many hams that just like to change rig, the buy, swap and sale constantly. The IC-7300 being so common, it's just normal. Plus, some ham had to resale the impulsive buying because their wives didn't approve, hihi. Many also upgraded to the IC-7610, I know at least 3 local hams who did in the past two months and they sold their IC-7300. 73 Pascal VA2PV

K4XJ and K0UO like this.
  7. VA2PV

Thank you all for all the comments, I can see that the interest is still there. For those who have a 4k smart TV, keep in mind that all my videos are in 4k resolution and they look great on my 70' 4k TV, you never saw an IC-7300 that close before. 73 Pascal VA2PV

KD2KIQ likes this.
  8. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Pascal does not generally present what I a true review. He does product demonstrations - and is rather good at it.

But, to me, a review is so much more - it involves testing, comparisons with other rigs, and presents a critical analysis of ergonomics and performance. Check out actual product reviews by qualified sources all over the Internet to realize the difference between an review and a product demonstration. ARRL, DP Review, Sherwood Engineering, DX Optics, for examples.

All Pascal ever says is, "this is really cool" or something similar. A true review does more than press all the buttons or run through the MENU system saying to "press this to do that." I know some hams like these demonstrations, and that is OK - it does showcase the product - but it is not a review and buying every new rig just to do a demo video seems wasteful. Rig after rig is presented as "great" - but it does not stay in the shack for long - soon to be replaced by the next new rig - which won't last long either - and on and on - seems more boastful than informative. He is a likeable guy - but he does not have show off everything he buys - like "Show-n-Tell" in grade school (which my teacher mom called "Bring-n-Brag.") Besides, I can read the User Manual and determine how it works with greater clarity and accuracy.

Of course, this is JUST MY TAKE and your mileage may vary, and I am OK with that. I am sure someone will take this personally and flame me for daring to criticize. (He typed, donning his flame proof Teflon Suit.) JR

W9WQA likes this.
  9. KD2KIQ

KD2KIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great timing for a review on this rig. I’ve been interested in buying one for a while.

VA2PV and K4XJ like this.
  10. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really, every one (of these 7300s) I have heard on air sound great (even with just the stock mic).
    Still on the fence between IC-7300 (HRO on-sale $1024.95/$924 after mail-in - great price$$$) or the FT-DX3000($1419.95)?

VA2PV likes this.