ICOM IC-7300 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VA2PV, Oct 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AI4RA

AI4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, Pascal, for a very concise and informative review and overview of the IC-7300. I've had mine for over a year now and love it. It has all the features I really need in an HF rig: 100 W of TX output, 160-6m TX coverage, 30 kHz to almost 75 MHz receive coverage, all legal TX modes including FM (which the IC-7200 doesn't have) and uses FPGA with direct sampling technology, all at really a very reasonable price. It also plays well with WSJT-X for FT8 and HRD for other digital modes. The receiver is excellent, as in most ICOM rigs. ICOM really came up with a winner in this rig and I would say it's destined to become a classic.

Someone mentioned that this rig has devalued older rigs. I've noticed that some of the older rigs, like the IC-7200 for instance, are having much more trouble selling here on QRZ. Their prices are being driven down, and I think a large part of that has to do with the relatively inexpensive SDR-based revolution the IC-7300 has brought to the amateur radio market. Many folks are simply dumping their older rigs on the market because they like the 7300 so much. There seems to be a glut on the used market at the moment and the law of supply and demand will drive down the prices as a result. Progress, I guess!

K0UO, VE2GCE, VA2PV and 2 others like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Four years? Do you have a WABAC machine? :p

Sure, go ahead and review it. Plenty out there at hamfests looking for new homes. One of my fave rigs of all time.

As for the 7300? A good review can help plenty of ops even four years down the line...

K0UO, W7UUU, VA2PV and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm seeing that happen at the hamfests I attend. Fewer sellers slapping a 700 - 800 dollar price tag on so-so rigs from the freaking 90s. Those that do wind up packing them back up and taking them back home. ;)

VA2PV, W4QBQ and WB9YTG like this.
  4. AD5NM

AD5NM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a nice radio but why are there so many for sale in the used market if it's actually as good as everyone makes it sound?

WW2PT and ND6M like this.
  5. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Or the ubiquitous Hw-100/101.

Still have fond memories of building several Heathkits (and getting them on the air)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    AD5NM likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

SHHHHHHHH!

The Emperor has no clothes

AD5NM and WW2PT like this.
  7. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

For the price the IC-7300 is a great deal.

Surprised that Kenwood or Yaesu haven’t offered something similar. Expanded VHF/UHF capability?

N2AMM and VA2PV like this.
  8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m willing to bet you could.

K4XJ, N2AMM and KA2K like this.
  9. K4NYX

K4NYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for taking the time to review.

10. WA6JJM

WA6JJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job!

WA6JJM