ICOM IC-7300 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VA2PV, Oct 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ahhh that's better.....Many thanks Mod.

2. KN6CSB

KN6CSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a cursory glance into the ham radio world shows that the 7300 is selling very well, well enough hopefully to shake up things in how new radios are made, priced and marketed.

In theory, this should help stir up the market; however, no one can predict the short term effects. I am already reading how the 7300 has hurt sales of other SDR transceivers which before were the "go to" for SDR tech, again I like the free market principles at play here: you can buy an ic 7300 with rebates for less than 950 USD, but I wonder how many upstart SDR transceiver companies will probably not figure out how to compete and will just result in another years in delay for more options. Or other players i.e. Flex and Apache even Yaesu (don't know what they are up to) better wake up and offer something good under the 1500 usd mark, then we wait for it to drop to 1300... so might as really wake up and just offer something good at 1000 usd just like Icom is doing now. Wishful thinking on my part? probably, but I don't think I am too far off.

I don't own the 7300, I want to buy it, but can't justify getting one to "try it out". the radio I have now serves it's purpose for me, however, the next HF radio I purchase will be SDR no question about it, and I am predicting this is going to just become the norm.

Even for those who have not/ will not buy the 7300 there will be lots who will want to upgrade and I cannot see how getting a "legacy" radio will be an option for some (many), frankly, at this point I would even suggest not buying an upgrade to a legacy radio because the resale value will plummet big time since if you buy an expensive legacy radio now and wish to upgrade to (hopefully) all the new SDR offerings in 3-4 years, no one will pay much for even a "DX grade" legacy radio.

K0UO, W9WQA and VA2PV like this.
  3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

C'est Magnifique !

It's not yet an oldy but goody as it's still a newby but goody :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

VA2PV likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I still love mine - great radio for the price - and I was in the “first wave” when they were $1300 new :eek: I still consider it a value even at the intro price

Nice review video, BTW

Dave
    W7UUU

VA2PV likes this.
  5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

the display is fantastic. i would never go back.ill keep my 450d as a nice rig. i tried a 991a and returned it . yaesu needs to get up to speed on the display, the 991a was terrible.
    im amazed at the functions in the 7300 screen and the accuracy.
    im not a 7300 "pro" and have lots to learn in the operation,still find myself not knowing what to expect when pushing or touching ,like in swr testing mode.
    i guess i just cant remember it all.

K0UO and VA2PV like this.
  6. N1GKE

N1GKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not the owner of the radio Pascal, but I thank you for the video as I am setting one up for someone. It is a great carry around. On Monday passed I managed to work VP6R, Pitcairn Island on 17 meters CW, that was a new country for me. I could not have done that on the FTDX-5000D I own. 73 and continued success. - Myrt - N1GKE

ZS6GU and VA2PV like this.
  7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep hoping the 7300 will tank the market for older tech. At this time, people still seem to want a lot of $ for 20 year old rigs. Reading that straight, you'd have to guess that there's still demand.

W7UUU and VA2PV like this.
  8. K7CB

K7CB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can really respect that. I would like to be able to test and review radios but I can't afford to buy them and I haven't figured out how to get the retailers or manufacturers to loan or give them to me to review yet like several of the other reviewers out there.

9. K7CB

K7CB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, it has had an impact. While sellers want a lot of money for their older equipment, buyers aren't willing to pay it anymore. The 756 Pro III is a good example. I've seen several listed but they just don't have the desirability they once had...because buys aren't willing to pay the money for a 10 year old radio when its cousin the 7300 can do many of the same things and then some for less money. I saw one listed the other day for $1900. A friend of mine who has a 756 Pro III that he's tried to sell told me the guy would be lucky if he gets $1200 for it.

10. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're forgetting a thing called mortality with the average ham up there in age.

Wait, wait for what..................:confused:

W9WQA likes this.