Icom IC-7300 Firmware 1.41 bricked the radio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4UZZ, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

The firmware upgrade is written onto an SD card which then is inserted into the radio SD slot. Then it is read during the firmware update procedure.

A laptop or computer is not actively used during the upgrade. It is a good idea to run the radio on a battery, or battery back up when upgrading firmware.

If the radio is bricked, the manual states it must go back to Icom.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think a "computer" of SOME KIND is necessary to actually obtain the firmware upgrade, and put it on an SD card initially? If there is a glitch in THAT process, then that corrupted firmware upgrade may be able to "Brick" the radio.
    And NATURALLY, Icom says a "bricked' radio has to be returned to the factory... just like they (and other manufacturers) say ONLY their techs can replace a radio's back-up battery, because of "sensitive" circuitry involved. I can't say if that is manufacturer hype, or the radio actually HAS to be returned to the factory. But proper (attempted) installation of an upgrade should NOT " brick" a radio (or computer, or whatever.)

3. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I stated a computer is not "actively" used during the upgrade.

Meaning it is not connected to the radio during the upgrade process.

4. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

With firmware upgrades, there is normally another layer of protection as the firmware has at least a checksum that must be satisfied before the update will proceed.
    As Icom don't publish their "internal workings", I have no idea if this is actually done but its not a lot of overhead, even for a small device to do this.

Frank

K2CD and (deleted member) like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know either, but if/when "bean counters" are involved, even saving a couple of bytes devoted to "overhead" can make a difference (to them, at least.) The fact that a "simple(?)" firmware upgrade can "brick" a radio makes me :eek:shudder, to say the least.:rolleyes:

6. KH6IDF

KH6IDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Memory is cheap enough now that Icom should keep a backup copy of the factory-installed software in the radio that is never overwritten, and a factory reset procedure such as a recessed switch that you stick a pin into. Then in the event of a failed software update you could always restore to the original factory version and try again.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, well, that's for 1.40. The major new feature in 1.41? Below, and if you can guess what that means, you are a lot smarter than this OM... :D

upload_2021-7-22_8-10-23.png

8. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I was mistaken. I thought that was for 1.41.

W4NNF likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Natural mistake. After not releasing any firmware for a rather long while, Icom released 1.40. Then, just weeks later, 1.41. I initially believed this was supposed to prevent having a hot mic during data transmission (using the rear/USB connection). But apparently not...

W9FL likes this.
  10. N9AED

N9AED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just updated my firmware from 1.40 to 1.41 with no issues.