Icom IC-7300 Firmware 1.41 bricked the radio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4UZZ, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1.41 doesn't mean 141 updates. However it might mean "40," if the original spin was 1.01. Often, the release is 1.10, so 1.41 would be 31. Sometimes, the release is later than that.

I'm wary of SW updates not provided by MSFT or Apple, which generally download automatically to my computers and install only with a re-boot.

I try to research "what did this update do?" first before installing it. If it didn't do anything I'd want it to do, I never install it.:p

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most dangerous phrase in the service technicians lexicon: "Software / firmware update"! That one has driven many a service guy up the walls...

PU2OZT, K9CPO, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I just looked at this from the OP

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, he meant "1.41."

5. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally agree....my 7300 is just fine the way it is...why take a chance on bricking the radio?.....for what?....I never did an upgrade because of the risk. Its not worth it to me.

6. MRCONGENIALITY

MRCONGENIALITY QRZ Member

As someone who was in IT for many years... Backup, backup, backup. Always backup an image of the system before you install a firmware upgrade. You should still have the ability to install the last image into a system without any troubles. However, not having that image and the firmware tanks, then it's a brick.

I always backup an image from my radios prior to installing a new one. If the new one works, then I can delete the old image. Most radio's these days, have the ability. They are nothing more than a computer (unlike the older ones that are analog).

So, even if you are writing new memories, changing settings or whatever else, backup the image first. It only takes a couple of extra minutes.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno, the bandscope scrolling, which was introduced in 1.4, is a pretty big deal IMHO. 1.41 is decidedly minor. I updated to it without difficulty, but reading Icom's description of it, it's not abundantly clear to me what it does. ;)

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel the same way. Backup before attempting a update. And not just channel frequency info.

A backup of "Your" radio is good to have.

Calibration and hardware specific settings may be important.

Some people want the biggest number available. I like the smallest number that works with my hardware.

WA9SVD likes this.
  9. MRCONGENIALITY

MRCONGENIALITY QRZ Member

Of course who doesn't like the next new best gadget, and from someone who was in IT, I prefer the KISS method. If you are unfamiliar with this acronym, it stands for Keep It Simple Stupid because there is always that 1 person who fails to have even a single lick of common sense.

I also have a saying... Good is not always the best and Bad isn't always the worst. Though, if you bought a Yugo, I might argue that point. LOL

But, you are spot on, friend! Bigger numbers don't always mean it's better! You can have 2 radios, one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles and one that has every imaginable function known to mankind on it. The more features that are added, the greater possibility of failure. So like you, I too prefer something that works that doesn't have all the fanfare. But, that also doesn't mean I don't want the one with all the bells and whistles, it means that I need to be satisfied with one that doesn't at the same time.

Full image including every setting, dial position, the works to have as a backup would save a lot of people a headache and from having to send in their unit for the manufacturer/repair guy repair a radio that they negligently didn't think they need or want to do. I don't pity these types at all. :)

10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

As someone who's just read the Firmware Updates section of the IC-7300 User Manual: There's no way to do this.

Further: As someone who's spent decades in embedded and large-scale integrated systems design, the lack of a basic bootloader functionality - which would at least get an end-user to a recovery screen, wherein a known good firmware copy could be installed - is troubling.

Customers which have bought products from my various employers over the years have always emphasized ease-of-upgrade/ease-of-recovery for the embedded system portions of those products, and a lot of my career has been spent designing resiliency into said systems - along with delivery mechanisms for said upgrades.

In defense of Icom, though: At least they're being proactive with enhancements and bug fixes. Implementing some of these at the hardware level is a non-trivial task.

KL7SG likes this.