Icom IC-7300 and West Mountain CLRdsp NR processor

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K7JQ, Jun 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm contemplating a purchase of the CLRdsp unit. Anyone using it with a IC-7300...does it make a difference over the radio's NR dsp? Is it worth it? Thanks for any input!

Bob K7JQ

2. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Try it. Let us know.

3. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I bought one. In a nutshell, it works fine with the 7300... a definite improvement over the radio's NR DSP, which is pretty good in its own right. I have back-up dipoles in the attic, and over the years, the increasing noise from my and my neighbors' homes leaky RF electronics have rendered them virtually useless. Now, new receiving life from them. Using the CLRdsp (it uses a different NR algorithm) in tandem with the radio's NR really reduces the noise and makes the signals pop, SSB and CW. It also does a great job on regular atmospheric band noise on my outdoor antennas. The nice thing is you don't get that underwater garbly sound, typical of most NR circuits. They're not cheap, at $220, but I bought one used and saved quite a bit. There have been different versions over the years from West Mountain Radio, and I got the latest one with continuously variable DSP filtering, tone, and volume controls.

Bob K7JQ

4. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried the Clearspeech speaker by West Mtn on my 7300 and K3. I don’t really care for it, sounds tinny to me.

Having said I have mid range hearing loss at about the same frequency range of my XYL’s voice. The Clearspeech frequency response might fall in the same range.

5. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The "Clearspeech Speaker" is different from the CLRdsp, which is the stand-alone unit that requires an external speaker. Although I believe they use the same DSP algorithms, I can see where the little built-in speaker on your unit could sound tinny. My CLRdsp is fed into a larger external speaker, and it sounds anything but "tinny". I liked it so much that I bought another one for my other IC-7300. Even if your QTH isn't in an artificially noisy environment, the CLRdsp still does a better job on regular atmospheric band noise than the 7300 NR.

On another note, are you sure you have hearing loss at your XYL's voice frequency, or is it the more common problem called "selective hearing" that all husbands have:);)?

Bob K7JQ

WD5GWY likes this.
  6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob, it seems logical that CLR DSP may work better with a better amp and speaker. I don’t recall if I tried it with headphones but, that’s a thought. It’s just collecting dust right now.

Most of the artificial noise at the QTH is generated by the XYL. We live in a fairly open log cabin and sound travels from the living room TV to the basement shack. Noise reducing headphones help to some extent but, I will build a wall at some point. In all fairness the radio noise travels upstairs as well.

I’ve been accused of selective hearing and that’s true at times but, an audiologist has verified the hearing loss. Should have asked for a copy of the report. She doesn’t believe me either. :confused: