Icom IC-7200?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2FRH

N2FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

I never gave the 450D much of a chance. Never saw one up close and I think the picture I had didn't make it look that good.

I had considered the IC-7410 but just couldn't justify the price. One main thing is I really didn't want the internal tuner. Too many reports that they are not as good as an external auto tuner. I used the savings to buy a LDG tuner.

I also considered the TS-590S. Overnight the price dropped from $1750 to the mid $1200 range. I believe there is an upgraded model now. Still just a bit out of my range.

The 7200 is a good looking rig. You have to like that rugged, "parkerized" finish look. It makes it look and feel tough. I should be talking more about usability but I just got it yesterday and haven't fired it up. So I actually know very little about it:p

2. ND8D

ND8D Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 7200 as well, purchased it lightly used early last year. Full disclosure: I have an Icom-706MKiiG, an Icom 7000, and a yaesu FT-817nd.

Of all my HF rigs, the 7200 hands down the best for digital modes straight out of the box, just add a USB-B cable and you are off to the races.
    I am also fond of the attention to durability that Icom put into the design. The heatsink is large (a plus for high duty cycle modes!) and there are chassis overhangs in the back to protect the connectors. If you add handles to the front you get protection there as well.
    While these features may not be so important to some, I use this rig as a portable setup, and it is in and out of a case often.

I thought so much of the rig that I ended up getting one for my club's station as well.

3. N2FRH

That is good to hear, thanks. After 30 yrs I had to start over again. Sold all my HF gear and left the old antenna with the house when we moved. I was back and forth between going used and even partially solid state and just going new. I remember the days with my old 520S and needing to tune up before transmitting. I am more fond of those days than with the junky Eico and Heathkit VFO I started with, but that's another story. So I've been there and this time around I decided to just go easy and enjoy the contacts more. Although I'll soon decide if I miss the art of tuning and knowing your radio more. This 7200 helps fight off my remorse for selling my TS-520 and that old Hammerlund HQ-110A (not the best Hammerlund model but it was my first receiver).

I'm home today and I gonna start going through the manual on the 7200. Until my antenna arrives, I'm not powering up (forgot to buy a dummy load) so might as well start to read up on it. It's out of the box and it is so cool to look at. It is amazing how compact these things have gotten. I find comfort also in knowing that if something breaks I have a 1 year warranty. Also there is a local guy here who will repair HF stuff but only certain specific, recent models of Icom and Kenwood. I have some experience repairing pre-war console (am) radios but nothing in the way of solid state stuff.

4. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Please keep us updated on how the set-up adventures with your new IC-7200 go. It's very interesting to me, especially to see your enthusiasm. It tells me that it probably is a very good rig.

5. KE6K

KE6K Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a 7200 for 8 months now and I like almost everything about it. Almost. The receiver is not what you want if you are working contests or get in DX pile-ups. The receiver is sensitive but quite broad. The DSP helps some but not enough. Otherwise, a great radio. Haven't had a single problem and has worked well with every computer program I've tried.

6. AC9KH

AC9KH Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't necessarily consider a built-in auto-tuner an advantage. LDG makes an external auto-tuner for the IC-7200 called the IT-100. That is a pretty good tuner for an extra $150 bucks and I use it regularly with my AL-811 at up to 300 watts. You can't use an internal tuner with an amp. And the internal ones usually have a more limited range that they will match.

I also didn't consider FM on 10 and 6 meters to be much of an issue. Most of the FM activity on 10m is on 29.600 and very limited. 6 meters is even more limited yet, and when 6 opens up all the action is on SSB, not FM.

7. VE3GNU

VE3GNU Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7200 and the LDG IT-100 tuner match each other perfectly---i.e. seamless tuning proved by pushing the 'TUNE' button on the rig---and matching the rig to my Alpha Delta DXCC antenna beautifully!

LDG provides the cable with the tuner.

I was in a similar quandary---deciding between the Yaesu FT 450D and the Icom IC-7200 and inputs from users and their experience were overwhelmingly in favour of the ICOM---

As well---for my first-ever menu-driven rig----I had to give preference to ease-of-use and ergonomics----

From my brief experience over the time----solid construction, nice compact 'footprint', functional, smooth knobs and buttons, and above all---great DSP filtering----

Power for my rig is provided by the Samlax SEC 1235M switcher---

I use mine with the Palstar SP30B speaker, but use headphones for CW---

Overall---a great choice!

73---Ernie
    VE3GNU

8. KE6K

KE6K Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point on the internal tuner. I use my 7200 with the original LDG AT-1000 I have had for 15 years. Originally used it with a TS-570D and an Ameritron AL-811. Now using an Ameritron AS-500M. My station power supply is a Pyramid PS-86KX. Runs everything nicely.

9. N2FRH

I've been using mine for a week now and really like it. I also use the Samlax 1235 and have the LDG AT-200 pro tuner. The tuner clickity-clacks itself to death sometimes but always finds a decent match.

I don't know how to use a lot of the bells and whistles yet, but what I like so far is that 90% of the time when I try to make a contact, I get that contact and a pretty decent signal too. I have a relatively inexpensive dipole antenna that has been rigged at a height of only 20 ft or so. The combo is allowing me to get all over the country and pick up lots of DX stations pretty clearly.

My next upgrade will be to get that antenna higher in the spring and for the radio, I will send the hand mike off to the Icom mic guy for that mod that folks talk about.

10. W1BG

W1BG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sent my mic off to the guy on Monday and had it back Friday. Great turnaround. Now since the hand mic has been upgraded people can't tell which mic I'm using, whether the Icom SM-30 desk mic or the HM-36 hand mic. What an amazing difference. Just in case I didn't mention it, I love my IC-7200

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.