ad: AlphaRF-1

Icom IC-7200?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the Icom IC-7200. What is your opinion of it? What do you like about it and what don't you like about it? How does it perform?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. VE3GNU

VE3GNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Suggestion: Go to 'Eham Reviews'----171 Reviews posted---Ave. rating of 4.8/5.00----an overall excellent rating.

3. AC9KH

AC9KH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an IC-7200 and don't have a single complaint with it. With the proper drivers installed in your computer for the USB interface it works flawless with either FLdigi or HRD with no interface box required. No extra filters to buy, it has fully configurable MNF, DSP filters and twin passband tuning so you can tune out just about any interference, reports of audio quality even with the stock mic are excellent. While there was no problem with the stock mic, I opted for a MFJ-299 desktop mic for convenience in the shack. And it works well with my IT-100 auto-tuner.

While ICOM advertises the IC-7200 as a "starter rig" or "second rig", it serves me fine as my primary rig.

4. KD8UEI

Thanks. I did go over to eham and read the reviews which are indeed very good. But they are also very good for other radios that I'm considering.

AC9KH, where do you get the drivers for a USB connection? I have to see whether there are any for my system because I use Linux. Thanks for telling me your experience.

5. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

The driver is available from Icom: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-7600/usb1_20/

But apparently this could be a deal breaker for you since the driver only works with Windows operating systems. It may work if you are willing to run with a Windows emulator, but I have no experience with this.

But it doesn't have to be a deal breaker since you can still use a conventional sound card interface and CI-V (rig control) cable. I am sure there are many Linux users out there that can point you in the right direction.

6. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-7200 works just fine under Linux. Rig control and soundcard both work flawlessly. So long as you're using a distribution with loadable kernel modules, the drivers you need will already be available - just plug in the radio into the PC's USB port and off you go. Nothing to download.

Of course, you'll need to configure your software accordingly. I had FLdigi up and running in no time.

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

See, I told you!

8. KD8UEI

Thanks, guys. That at least puts one issue to rest for me.

9. N2FRH

N2FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

The price at HRO on this rig just dropped by $90 for now anyway. I bought mine at Ham Radio Outlet on 1/31 when it was $890. I checked back and found that Icom dropped the price by adding another $90 discount before my rig even landed on my doorstep. I called HRO today and just asked if they offered any type of price protection. Without hesitation they honored the discount and credited me the $90 today. I have not even powered up the radio because my antenna hasn't arrived yet, but I am marveling at the solid construction on this tough little rig. I can't wait to take her out for a spin. Wee-hoo

Much thanks to Ham Radio Outlet, I will be dealing with them a great deal in the future.

10. KD8UEI

That's good to hear. I noticed that the price had dropped. It's one reason that my decision between the IC-7200 and the FT-450D is all the more difficult. I still think the FT-450D is the better value because it is $100 cheaper, comes with an antenna tuner, and has FM on 6 and 10 meters. But I think either radio is very good and a good value at the current prices.

For me, I think it's going to come down to the look and feel. I'm going have to have them before me to make a final decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.