ICOM IC-7200 multiple CI-V Devices one Remote jack

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WQ6N, Nov 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did do some reading on eHAM and someone else had a similar need. In my case, I have an earlier screwdriver antenna controller that is hard set by firmware at 300bd 58H. I also have a P4 Dragon that I control the radio (IC-7200) using AirMail. The Airmail Option settings allow me to change the radio CI-V configuration.

From the earlier articles, it was suggested that I could use a CT-17 converter that has 4 remote jacks. It would not be needed to interface to a PC serial port. In essence, like a Y adapter.

What I don't know, is the potential impact of having two devices talking to the radio over the same CI-V baud/address. Since the ITT-1 is set to 300/58H then the AirMail radio control would have to be the same. Unless I am totally missing something.

I do have a later model of the ITT-1 R7 that has a different firmware configuration at 19200/70H. It has only one device and that is a High Sierra screwdriver with the Blackhawk motor. Maybe I should swap out the controllers and put the older ITT-1 300/58H on the tow car, with the High Sierra, and use the later model for the multi device configuration on the RV? That way, I can have the faster and newer interface on the AirMail/TurboTuner-2 setup.

Does anyone have experience to share here?

2. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom CI-V is designed so that you can simply parallel multiple devices on the same signal line. The 4 jacks on the CT17 are simply wired in parallel. All devices on a CI-V line must be set to the same baud rate AND have a unique address. It's the addresses that allow the devices to determine who is talking to who.