Icom ic-7200 fan modification.

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by HJ3SUA, Mar 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. HJ3SUA

HJ3SUA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I have seen that in Icoms ic7000 and ic706 mk and miig you can do a fan modification to keeping it runing in Rx at low revolution.
    You have to find a 12v point (on the 706 it is a cable on a specific choke), and then conect a 20ohms or 10ohms resistor to the positive conexion point of the fan (i do not know the technical name).
    So, i did find a 12v point on the 7200, and the fan conector and solder a 20ohms resistor (1/4w, i think i have to solder a 2w resistor)... And it worked... When i just turned on the radio no fan was working. Ok, no problem. I did one Tx... The fans worked as they should do... the they astar working at low revolution as they slhould do when the radio is in Rx... BUT... I turned OFF the radio... and the fans keep working at low revolution... I just realized that where i did connect the resistor keeps running current into the radio (i do not know if they are the correct words to describe it).
    Any thoughts where to connect the resistor?
    Thanks.
    (pd sorry about my english)

fan mod.jpeg

2. HJ3SUA

Problem solved...
    I connected the the positive conexion point of the fan to the 12v of tuner (molex) connector.

Attached Files:

3. HJ3SUA

Upadate.
    So far so good... Mod works great. The radio is cooler tha before.. Now the next step is to replace the stock with quiter ones like Noctua fans. ( https://noctua.at/ )